Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sonoluminescence experiment help

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    I am trying to do a sonoluminescence experiment. The instructions are from this site: http://www.techmind.org/sl/. I have everything set up today, but I think my way of making the bubble is wrong. From the description of the site, it seems like when you make the bubble it should easily go to the center of the flask, which did not happen in my case. My resonance frequency was about 25.18 kHz. I can get a max of about 10 V output from the mic, but I kept it at about 4 V since that is where the bubble will "light up" and stay in the center. I was wondering if anyone that has experience with this can give me some advice on how to make th bubble. I used a plastic pipette (the disposable kind), and it doesn't seem to work every well.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

sas3

Gold Member

Try to vary the output, you said that you kept it at about 4 Volts, well your set-up will be different then the one on that page so your power and/or frequency will be different.
    Also one very inportant note on that page "Patience was essential"
    Good luck!
    Please let us know how it works out, Pictures if you can.

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    The acoustic resonance that they got was around "25.5kHz and another at 25.1kHz at room temperature". Mine was around 25.18kHz, which is really close to what they got. I did vary the voltage a bit after 4 volts was not working out for me, but I didn't change it that much. I'll play with it a bit more. The problem here is that from the descriptions, it sounds like the bubble flows toward the center easily, which isn't happening in my case. I was wondering if I was doing it right because if you use a pipette to make bubbles, it will also create a current inside the vessel (flask). Anyways thanks for your advice! I'll try to play with it a bit more and post pictures if I am successful.

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4

sas3

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?