Is studying a little bit of statistics worth it?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the benefits of self-studying AP Statistics for a high school student interested in pursuing a career in mathematics or physics. The participants agreed that statistics is a highly applicable tool in any science and can greatly enhance one's problem-solving skills. They also discussed the potential boredom of the course and the usefulness of statistics for actuarial science. The conversation then shifted to the question of whether studying AP Statistics would be worth it, with the general consensus being that it would. Finally, the conversation touched on other options for math courses in college, with some recommending taking Calculus III while others suggested starting with Linear Algebra. Overall, the participants encouraged the original poster to pursue AP Statistics and emphasized its importance in various fields
guss
I'm going to be a senior in high school next year, and I'm thinking about self-studying AP Statistics. I want to be some sort of mathematician or physicist, and I am thinking that having the equivalent of a first-year course in college statistics will significantly broaden my career choices and math skills. There also seems to be a lot of math "language" that is unique to statistics and not often found in other parts of math, so I will have to learn a lot of that too.

Would studying this be worth it? I'm starting out with no stats knowledge, and I'm just going to study from Khan Academy's videos.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, definitely. Statistics is one of the most widely applicable tools for any science.

I would definitely try it. I've never heard of anyone liking AP stats though. I never took it, but I know that it isn't calculus based and therefore might be a little dry. As for it opening career options? No single class you take in high school will do that. But if you like it you might choose to do more in college, which will broaden your science education for sure. It's particularly helpful for actuarial science, which you might choose to do if you like math.

For what it's worth. This semester I needed to fill a 3 credit elective, and so I took Statistical Methods (3CR course), which I believe is essentially the same as a high school non-calculus stats course. (I just wanted to get introduced to some terminology, plus, it beats taking tennis or something).

Anyway, it was amazingly boring. There was very little math involved. We only briefly touched on probability and other remotely interesting topics. The rest of the course was spent on normal distributions, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing and all that.

This was non-calculus stats, the only pre-req was college algebra or equiv. May or may not be like the course you are talking about.

Thanks guys. I think I will just start the course and take it really slowly. If it gets really boring, I might stop and spend my time studying linear algebra or something instead.

AP Stats is easy, easy, easy. But, it is also useful. Knowing basic stats will change the way you think about things.

guss said:
Thanks guys. I think I will just start the course and take it really slowly. If it gets really boring, I might stop and spend my time studying linear algebra or something instead.

How about if it gets really boring, you stick with it anyways. Don't get me wrong, linear algebra is great (and you'll end up needing it if you go far enough in stats), but if I had to pick just one, I'd strongly suggest stats.

Alright, I guess I better start studying this summer before school starts, then just go over everything during the school year bi-weekly or so to keep it fresh, along with learning new material.

I wish collegeboard offered AP exams in the fall. So stupid that they only offer them once a year.

Locrian said:
How about if it gets really boring, you stick with it anyways. Don't get me wrong, linear algebra is great (and you'll end up needing it if you go far enough in stats), but if I had to pick just one, I'd strongly suggest stats.

Coming from an actuary (correct me if I'm wrong though, I thought I read about you being one somewhere 'round here)!

2018 said:
AP Stats is easy, easy, easy. But, it is also useful. Knowing basic stats will change the way you think about things.
Quoted for emphasis, especially the last bit. It's very very important if you're thinking of doing anything with physics or applied math. Even if you're not going to go into science, it's probably a really good idea because it shows you how actual [experimental] science is done (which is extremely useful knowledge to have).

guss said:
I want to be some sort of mathematician or physicist, and I am thinking that having the equivalent of a first-year course in college statistics will significantly broaden my career choices and math skills.

It won't really. However having the equivalent of a third-year course in statistics and probability will help you a lot, and it will be easier to teach yourself/take a course in advanced statistics if you have learned basic statistics.

Would studying this be worth it?

Yes.

In my opinion, I thought AP Stats was rather difficult. Then again, I am not a mathematically minded person. I felt as if the rules of stats are not consistent at all (I didn't know when to do one test vs. another). I ended up passing the AP exam with a three though, my lowest score ever:frown:

Ok, one other questions. Next summer I plan on either taking Calculus III or Linear Algebra at a local college. I will have hopefully gotten at least a 4 or a 5 on the BC Calc exam (equivalent to Calculus II), and I plan to study physics (or something like it) in college.

Which one should I take, Calc III or Linear Algebra? On one hand it would be pretty cool to basically be done with calculus, but on the other it would be nice to get a start in linear algebra. Right now I'm leaning towards Calc III because then I would be 100% prepared for differential equations and linear algebra, and I will have just completed BC Calc so stuff will be fresh in my head.

chez_butt23 said:
Then again, I am not a mathematically minded person. I felt as if the rules of stats are not consistent at all (I didn't know when to do one test vs. another). I ended up passing the AP exam with a three though, my lowest score ever:frown:

Or maybe you are too mathematically minded.

One reason that advanced statistics and probability courses are cool is that you end up learning the basic principles behind basic statistics courses. A lot of basic statistics are just "plug and chug". In this situation, take these numbers, do this, and put them into this formula. The reason for this is that most statistics jobs involve "take these numbers, do this, and plug them into this formula." DO NOT MESS WITH THE FORMULA.

It's not until you get into higher level classes where they go into why the formulas are what they are.

1. Is studying statistics necessary for a career in science?

Yes, studying statistics is essential for a career in science. Statistics is the foundation of data analysis, and in the field of science, data is crucial for conducting research and making informed decisions. Without understanding statistics, it would be challenging to interpret and draw conclusions from data accurately.

2. Is studying statistics only relevant for certain fields of science?

No, studying statistics is relevant for all fields of science. From biology to physics to social sciences, data is a vital component of research. Understanding statistics allows scientists to collect, analyze, and interpret data accurately, regardless of the field of study.

3. Can I learn enough statistics through online resources or do I need to take a course?

It depends on the individual's learning style and goals. Online resources can provide a basic understanding of statistics, but taking a course can provide a more comprehensive and structured learning experience. A course will also typically include hands-on practice and feedback from instructors, which can be beneficial in mastering statistical concepts.

4. How will studying statistics benefit me in my scientific career?

Studying statistics can benefit a scientist in various ways. It allows for a better understanding and interpretation of data, which is crucial for making informed decisions and drawing accurate conclusions. It also enables scientists to design experiments and research studies effectively, ensuring reliable and valid results.

5. Is it worth the time and effort to study statistics?

Yes, studying statistics is definitely worth the time and effort. In today's data-driven world, having a strong foundation in statistics is valuable in any field. It can open up opportunities for career advancement and make a scientist more competitive in the job market. Additionally, understanding statistics can also improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are transferable to various aspects of life.