Is the Apple iPad Considered an Electrical Equipment?

• Thread starter new6ton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, there is a lot of debate and confusion around the definition of "electrical equipment" as it pertains to tablets like the Apple iPad. While it may fall under the category of electronics, the use of an electrical adapter may also classify it as electrical. However, this ultimately depends on the context and national regulations. It is important to consult proper authorities, such as customs forms, to determine the accurate classification.
new6ton
Can tablets like apple ipad be considered an "electrical" equipment? I know it falls under electronics. But could it be electrical since the adapter is plugged to electrical outlets?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are referring to advice such as that recommending that householders unplug all electrical appliances during a thunderstorm to avoid damage and to reduce the risk of a fire in the home, certainly the ipad comes under that category.

The adaptor is electrical, but the iPad may or may not be. It will probably depend on context and the definition of “electrical” appropriate to your national regulations.

new6ton said:
Can tablets like apple ipad be considered an "electrical" equipment? I know it falls under electronics. But could it be electrical since the adapter is plugged to electrical outlets?

This seems to be a very specific and interesting question, I am really not sure about the answer, so I try to search for relevant information. I hope the following links are of value to you.

https://www.onlinecultus.com/the-difference-between-electrical-and-electronic-equipment/

In the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS). Do you consider Spectrometers as Electrical or Other, and why? Spectrometers have only the CCD sensor as electronic. It's plugged to USB in computer. So it is Electrical or Other? What do you think?

hts number spectrometer.png

The definition(s) of "electrical equipment" is very vague today, so Just out of curiosity, what possible difference does it make?

phinds said:
The definition(s) of "electrical equipment" is very vague today, so Just out of curiosity, what possible difference does it make?

If you enter the incorrect HTS number of the product. The United States Customs and Border Protection can fine you.

phinds said:

This includes other equipments aside from it.

hts spectro.JPG

So what do you make of "electrical"? Maybe it just means "electronic"? But isn't it electrical is different from electronic?

new6ton said:
So what do you make of "electrical"? Maybe it just means "electronic"? But isn't it electrical is different from electronic?
When I was young, it was simple. "Electrical" meant things having to do with power creation and distribution and things like radios and TVs were "electronic". Computers would have bee electronic. But these days it's been bastardized by common usage to where the customs people may think they can distinguish among them but I doubt many people can.

I mean, there ARE things that are clearly "electrical" such as a power transformer and other things that are clearly "electronic", like a transistor, but beyond the obvious it becomes unclear. Personally, I think an iPad is electronic.

Your point about customs is a good one though. I think you just have to check the customs forms and make your best guess it it's unclear.

Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
When I was young, it was simple. "Electrical" meant things having to do with power creation and distribution and things like radios and TVs were "electronic". Computers would have bee electronic. But these days it's been bastardized by common usage to where the customs people may think they can distinguish among them but I doubt many people can.

I mean, there ARE things that are clearly "electrical" such as a power transformer and other things that are clearly "electronic", like a transistor, but beyond the obvious it becomes unclear. Personally, I think an iPad is electronic.

Your point about customs is a good one though. I think you just have to check the customs forms and make your best guess it it's unclear.

I think they mean "Other" as not using any electronic or electrical but just mechanical or optical like telescope. And "Electrical" means anything that involves electron flow. Possible?

You are after legal definitions that have nothing to do with the way engineers and scientists classify things.

You'll have to consult the proper authorities.

Thread closed.

Likes Cdz, phinds, anorlunda and 1 other person

Related to Is the Apple iPad Considered an Electrical Equipment?

1. Is the Apple iPad considered an electrical equipment?

Yes, the Apple iPad is considered an electrical equipment. It runs on electricity and has electronic components that allow it to function.

2. What makes the Apple iPad an electrical equipment?

The Apple iPad is an electrical equipment because it requires electricity to operate and has electronic components such as a battery, processor, and display screen.

3. Is the Apple iPad safe to use as an electrical equipment?

Yes, the Apple iPad is safe to use as an electrical equipment. It undergoes rigorous testing and meets safety standards to ensure it is safe for consumer use.

4. Can the Apple iPad cause electrical hazards?

Like any electrical equipment, the Apple iPad can cause hazards if not used properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use the device as intended to prevent any potential hazards.

5. Are there any regulations for using the Apple iPad as an electrical equipment?

Yes, there are regulations and safety standards that the Apple iPad must meet in order to be sold and used as an electrical equipment. These regulations are in place to ensure the safety of consumers.