Is the Compton wavelength equal to 2*pi*r, the radius of an electron?

  • Thread starter Thread starter StephenD420
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electron Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
StephenD420
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Hello all

I have a quick question regarding the derivation of the radius of an electron using the compton wavelength.
Is the following true?
λ = h/mc
where 2*pi*r = λ from quantum angular momentum L = mvr = h/2pi -> mcr = h/2pi -> 2pi*r = h/mc = λ ??
so
r = h/(2*pi*m*c)
?

I just want to make sure that the compton wavelength can be equal to 2*pi*r, where r is the radius of an electron, which is what I am trying to find.

Thanks
Stephen
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump...
Am I correct in my thinking about the electron radius?

Thanks,
Stephen