Is the curl of a div. free vector field perpendicular to the field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Wuberdall
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hi PF-members.

My intuition tells me that: Given a divergence free vector field [itex]\mathbf{F}[/itex], then the curl of the field will be perpendicular to field.
But I'm having a hard time proving this to my self.

I'know that : [itex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F} = 0 \hspace{3mm} \Rightarrow \hspace{3mm} \exists\mathbf{A}: \mathbf{F} = \nabla\times\mathbf{A}[/itex]

Therefore : [itex]\mathbf{F}\cdot(\nabla\times\mathbf{F}) = 0 \hspace{3mm} \Rightarrow \hspace{3mm} [\nabla\times\mathbf{A}]\cdot[\nabla\times(\nabla\times\mathbf{A})] = 0[/itex]

But I can't prove that this actually equals zero... Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head (as in, there are probably less artificial examples):

Let [itex]\mathbf{F} = (x-z,y-z,-2z)[/itex]. As [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F} = 1+1-2=0[/itex], the field is divergence-free. However, [itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{F} = (1,-1,0)[/itex], so, clearly, [itex]\mathbf{F}\cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{F})\not{\equiv}0[/itex] and by contradiction, your intuition seems to be wrong.
 
Last edited: