Is the group (G,dG) isomorphic to the original group G?

  • Thread starter Thread starter moo5003
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Groups Operations
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
moo5003
Messages
202
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Exercise 1.2:2.
(i) If G is a group
Define an operation dG on |G| by dG(x, y) = x*y^-1.
Does the group given by (G,dG) determine the original group G with *
(I.e., if G1 and G2 yield the same pair, (G1,dG1) = (G2,dG2) , must G1 = G2?)

There is a part II, but I would rather focus on I first.

The Attempt at a Solution



So, I started by noting that G,dG forces every element to be of order 2 since:
x dG x = x*x^-1 = e = x dG x^-1 thus x^-1 = x

Thus G,dG is a klein group. I'm not sure how to proceed, any hint would be appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know (G,*) then you know (G,dG). Now ask yourself, if you know (G,dG) then can you figure out what (G,*) is? Hint: dG(x,y^(-1))=x*y.
 
Starting from (G,dG)

dG(x,y) = x*y^-1

thus

x*y = dG(x,y^-1)

Since (G,dG) = (H,dH)

x*y = dG(x,y^-1) = dH(x,y^-1) = x*y (* in terms of H)

Thus G = H

I guess I'm a little confused what it means for G = H. Am I trying to show that they have the same universe and operation or that they are the same upto isomorphism?
 
You can only show that they are the same up to isomorphism. That's the strongest sense of 'same' you can ever hope to prove.