Is the higgs boson necessary for particles to exist.

In summary, the Higgs boson is an essential component of the standard model of particle physics and its existence was crucial in making sense of the electroweak part of the model. It's not the only important particle, but it plays a significant role. Its nickname of the "God particle" is just a media hype and it has been observed through experiments. Its discovery was important for the field of particle physics, but some argue that it would have been even more exciting if it had not been found, as it would have meant the possibility of discovering something new and unexpected. Essentially, the Higgs boson is a result of the Higgs field, which is proposed to spread throughout the universe and interact with particles to give them mass.
techtribes
why without the higgs boson, would particle physics be nonsense. why does this particle have such an important impact on particle physics. is this why it was called the god particle? its existence is unquestionably but no one had ever seen it.

I bet when they discovered it the pa's were like "professor stop packing, they discovered it exist! yay we still have jobs" just joking of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something like the Higgs boson has to exist for the "electroweak" part of the standard model of particle physics to make sense. It could have been different and more complicated from what we actually discovered, though. And its existence wasn't "unquestionable": Nature can always surprise us.

Calling it the "God particle" is a silly exaggeration. It plays an important role in the standard model, but it's not the single most important particle or something like that.

Not discovering the Higgs boson would have been immensely more exciting (and been much better for particle physicists' jobs) than discovering it, because it would mean that there was something different and stranger out there to discover. Some people actual talk about the current situation, where we discovered exactly what we expected and nothing else, as the "nightmare scenario" because it is so much less interesting than what could have been.

why does this particle have such an important impact on particle physics.
Many (or even all) particles are important for particle physics - you cannot remove them without changing the whole theory.
is this why it was called the god particle?
That word is not used in physics, it is just a media hype.
its existence is unquestionably but no one had ever seen it.
It has been observed clearly. You cannot see it with your eyes, but that is true for most of the things in the universe.

mfb said:
Many (or even all) particles are important for particle physics - you cannot remove them without changing the whole theory.

no doubt

That word is not used in physics, it is just a media hype.

ok
It has been observed clearly. You cannot see it with your eyes, but that is true for most of the things in the universe.

I know, that's why I make use of the word had and when they discovered. as to communicate my understanding that it had been discovered. I'm looking for a more scientific answer buddy, like what the higgs boson does exactly. I can get this information from wiki or textbooks, but I come for the service.

can you not explain this particle in your own words so I can get an understanding of its nature and history.any info would be great.

Last edited:
An "exact" description needs quantum field theory (QFT), and then you end up here (click the images to continue there). Without QFT, you have to rely on simplified descriptions like the one yenchin linked.

I'm looking for a more scientific answer buddy said:
:confused:
Peter Higgs proposed what we now call the Higgs field , and hypothesized that it spreads through the universe. All particles would acquire mass by interacting with this field. This Higgs interaction predicts that we should be able to produce and detect the boson associated with it, or the Higgs boson.
http://www.sciencemediacentre.ca/smc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=241%3Abk-higgs&catid=1%3Alatest-news&Itemid=49&lang=en [Broken]
As they told you, it is thought to be what causes some particles to have mass.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give other particles their mass.

2. Why is the Higgs boson necessary for particles to exist?

The Higgs boson is not necessary for particles to exist, but it is believed to play a crucial role in giving particles their mass. Without mass, particles would not be able to interact with each other and form the complex structures that make up our universe.

3. How was the existence of the Higgs boson discovered?

The existence of the Higgs boson was first theorized in the 1960s by Peter Higgs and other physicists. In 2012, the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Switzerland confirmed the existence of the Higgs boson through particle collision experiments.

4. Can particles still exist without the Higgs boson?

Yes, particles can still exist without the Higgs boson. However, they would not have mass and would not be able to form the complex structures necessary for life as we know it.

5. What are the implications of the discovery of the Higgs boson?

The discovery of the Higgs boson has greatly contributed to our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the origin of mass. It has also opened up new avenues for research and potential technological advancements.