1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the higgs field the same as spacetime foam?

1. Nov 14, 2015 #1
    if not, what is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Is an apple the same as blue?
    The question does not make sense.

4. Nov 14, 2015 #3
    So you are saying that the spacetime foam isn't even related to the highs field?...I'm not trying to yank your chain....I thought they both were based on an all everywhere type of thing.

5. Nov 14, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

First you have to clarify what "the spacetime foam" is supposed to mean. There are some speculative theories that predict that spacetime is not continuous. It is unclear if those theories have any relevance to our universe at all. There are established theories that predict other effects at small scales that might be called "spacetime foam", without completely breaking spacetime. All this has no special relation to the Higgs field. Sure, the Higgs field is in spacetime. So is the electromagnetic field. And the other fields of the constituents of an apple. All those fields exist everywhere.

6. Nov 14, 2015 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm questioning your logic here. Even if they are both the "all everywhere type of thing", why would that characteristics alone imply that they are the same thing? That's like saying since a cow and an apple are both edible, they are the same thing.

Zz.

7. Nov 15, 2015 #6
    I see what your saying, and, I'm not illogical. I'm trying to determine the character of and to understand quatum energy...by that, I mean the smallest individual, non-trivial particles that form the foundation of the universe, what I referred to in my question as spacetime foam. It had occured to me that the higgs field could be these smallest of quanta.

8. Nov 15, 2015 #7
    Also, since energy and mass are equivalent, all particles are would seem to be related, even cows and apples....

9. Nov 15, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Actually, you are being somewhat illogical. You are trying to develop your own theories (which, BTW, is not what PF is for) before understanding what has come before. Is that logical?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  10. Nov 15, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

According to the Standard Model, those are the elementary particles we know - electrons, quarks, gluons, Higgs and so on. On the other hand, the fields look more fundamental than the particles.
    No.

11. Nov 15, 2015 #10
    I'm not sure if I understand your question right. You say that the higgsfield itself is the quantum foam in Spacetime of the superscalarfield?

If this is your question, then NO.

12. Nov 15, 2015 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Spacetime foam is NOT a "quantum of energy". I don't believe you understand the physics involved in any of this. Is this correct?

You can't simply try to formulate an idea when you do not have a good understanding of the various components that make up that idea. This is not only illogical, it is also irrational.

And has been stated, per the PF Rules that you had agreed to, personal theory such as this is forbidden. You're welcome to try and learn what the Higgs field is, what "spacetime foam" is, etc.. etc. But if you try to attempt at selling your own theory, you might have a very rough time on this forum.

Zz.

13. Nov 15, 2015 #12

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook