Is the Indicated Bond Electrophilic or Nucleophilic?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
JBD
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
I would like to clarify this particular question.

xhvvq.jpg


According to the answer key, the answer is D.
nPLlL.jpg


However, I argued to my friend that there may be an error in this question. The arrow is pointing toward a carbon atom so the question might have been " The indicated carbon atom is:". But if you take the question as it is, I answered C since I think that the "indicated bond" is the double bond and therefore nucleophilic and electron-rich. If it is not the double bond then what is the indicated bond in this question? And is it possible for a single bond to be electrophilic or nucleophilic? Thank you very much.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: HAYAO
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is a poorly worded question. The carbon atom that's indicated is electrophilic. And occasionally we refer to bonds as electron rich (and attacked by electrophiles, especially when discussing electrophilic addition to alkenes). The important thing is that you understand what's going on, which it seems like you do.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: HAYAO and JBD