Is the LHC Beam Prevented from Falling at 9.81 m/s by Electromagnetic Fields?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter God Plays Dice
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gravity Particle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
God Plays Dice
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
What prevents the beam of protons in say the lhc from falling at 9.81 m/s? I've never heard of an electric or magnetic field that prevents it...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The LHC is nothing but a giant super-powerful magnetic tube. Protons are charged particles. It can accelerate them to relativistic speeds; a paltry 9.81m/s drift is child's play.
 
God Plays Dice said:
What prevents the beam of protons in say the lhc from falling at 9.81 m/s? I've never heard of an electric or magnetic field that prevents it...

Sure you have. Put a positively charged plate under the beam and it will repel the protons, thus opposing gravity.
 
God Plays Dice said:
? I've never heard of an electric or magnetic field that prevents it...

I'm really shocked that you could have looked anything up and not learned that the LHC steers beams using electromagnetic - primarily magnetic - forces.