1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the Linear System inconsistent?

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, I'd assume that this will be a very easy answer. I need to clarify what is an inconsistent linear system. I've worked out my matrix and have achieved this form:

x+0y+z+0w=0
    0x+0y+z+w=0
    0x+0y+0z+w=0

I know that an inconsistent linear system has no solution i.e 0=1. This is throwing me off because of the y components being all zero which means I can make y what ever I want, but does this also make the system inconsistent?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x=y=z=w=0 is a solution. It will always be a solution when the RHS is all zeros. You have an infinite number of solutions, but it's not inconsistent. Inconsistent means no solutions.

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Inconsistent" does not apply to homogeneous linear systems (where the right-hand-sides are all zero) because setting all variables = 0 *does* give a solution. No: "consistency" and its opposite are relevant when (some of the) right-hand sides are *nonzero*. For example, the system x = 0 and 2*x = 0 is perfectly consistent, but the system x = 1 and 2*x = 3 is inconsistent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook