1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many 3x3 matrices can you find

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

j0fluJ9.png

My instructor wants to know if there are finite or infinite amount of solutions

2. Relevant equations
    Matrix Multiplication

3. The attempt at a solution
    I pretty much turned A into a 3x3 matrix like this...
    | A11 A12 A13 |
    | A21 A22 A23 |
    | A31 A32 A33 |

and then multiplied it by the given matrix of x y and z.

After multiplying I found myself with 2 matrices that I think would fit the solution...

| y 0 0 |
    | 0 0 0 |
    | 0 0 0 |

and

| 0 x 0 |
    | 0 0 0 |
    | 0 0 0 |

The first matrix would correspond to xy + 0y + 0z
    0x + 0y + 0z
    0x + 0y + 0z
    yielding the answer indicated by the question

and the second would correspond to 0x + xy + 0z
    0x + 0y + 0z
    0x + 0y + 0z
    yielding the answered indicated by the question

However, I find myself second guessing myself. I think I have 2 solutions, but since x and y are variables, they could be any number, ergo have infinite matrices. I think I may be over complicating things or perhaps I am just incorrect. Pretty much my question is, am I correct or perhaps on the right track or just wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

This indeed doesn't work. You have to find a matrix that will work with any vector, and return a vector with only the first component non-zero, such that this component is the product of the first two components of the original vector.

4. May 20, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Consider some specific choice(s) of x and y.

5. May 20, 2013 #4
    So working off of:

A11x + A12y + A13z
    A21x + A22y + A23z
    A31x + A32y + A33z

I should only be concerned with the first row? And in that first row I must somehow make it so it equals the desired result of xy? I feel like I've hit a brick wall on this problem. I do not understand how get from addition to multiplication. I have tried substituting random values for x and y trying to factor them out, but I feel like I am just shooting in the dark with that. Am I supposed to try to find some factor values and work off of those? I apologize if I am not grasping this quite well, this matrix stuff is new to me.

6. May 20, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, just think about the first row. The entries of the matrix A have to be definite numbers, not variables like x or y I would think. Have you considered that there may be no such matrix A? Or did that say that the matrix A is allowed to contain the variables x,y and z?

Last edited: May 20, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted