Is the metric space Q of rationals homeomorphic to N, the natural numbers?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining whether N and Q are homeomorphic and how to prove it. The participants discuss different topologies that can be used and how the metric function affects the continuity of the spaces. Ultimately, it is concluded that with certain topologies, N and Q are homeomorphic, but the proof of this is not explicitly stated in the text.
gmn
I don't know if this is more appropriate for the topology forum, but I am learning this in analysis. I am asked to say whether or not Q and N are homeomorphic to each other and to justify why. I am confused as to how to prove precisely that two spaces are homeomorphic, for there are no formal proofs of this in my text, only that (0,1] is not homeomorphic to the unit circle. everything else is just a visualisation of a donut and a coffee cup or something like that, but that doesn't really help me when thinking about N and Q. I know there exists a bijection, but I feel like it might not qualify for a homeomorphism because it doesn't necessarily send points that are close together or far away from each other in N to points that are close together or far away in Q. I'm confused. Please help!

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find a topological property that N possesses but Q does not. Hint: what can you say (topologically) about an arbitrary subset of N?

It depends on the topology you put on the sets. If you use a discrete topology for the rationals, then they will be homeomorphic. If you use the "natural" topology for the rationals, they will not be.

mathman said:
It depends on the topology you put on the sets.
And he specified he's using the metric topology.

doesn't the metric function of the space have to continuous?

Hurkyl said:
And he specified he's using the metric topology.

I don't see this being made clear anywhere.

edit: Whoops. It was in the title. Well, that is a hidden place...

ice109 said:
doesn't the metric function of the space have to continuous?

Yes. One never has to worry about it, though, because the metric function is always continuous in the topology it itself defines.

The metric function does not have to be continuous!
Examples: Integers d(x,y) = |x-y|.
Rational numbers: Express all rationals in lowest terms, d(a/b,c/f)=|a-c|+|b-f|.

These will both lead to discrete topologies.

mathman said:
The metric function does not have to be continuous!
Examples: Integers d(x,y) = |x-y|.
Rational numbers: Express all rationals in lowest terms, d(a/b,c/f)=|a-c|+|b-f|.

These will both lead to discrete topologies.
And in both cases, that makes the metric a function from a discrete space into the reals.

Exercise: Prove that any function with a discrete domain is continuous.

the topology on Q is probably the subspace topology inherited from R, a metric space.

Hurkyl said:
And in both cases, that makes the metric a function from a discrete space into the reals.

The distances in the topology I described are all integers (which is of course a subset of the reals). The point I was trying to make is that with the topologies I defined, the integers and the rationals are homeomorphic.

Hurkyl said:

c'mon that's easy

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept used to define the distance between two points in a set. It consists of a set of elements and a distance function that satisfies certain properties, such as being non-negative, symmetric, and satisfying the triangle inequality.

2. What is the difference between Q and N in terms of metric spaces?

Q and N are both sets of numbers, but they have different properties in terms of metric spaces. Q is a dense set, meaning that between any two rational numbers, there are infinitely many other rational numbers. On the other hand, N is a discrete set, meaning that there is a minimum distance between any two natural numbers.

3. Can you give an example of a homeomorphism between Q and N?

Yes, a simple example would be the function f(x) = 2x, which maps the set of natural numbers to the set of even rational numbers. This function preserves the distance between points, making it a homeomorphism.

4. How does the topology of Q and N affect their homeomorphism?

The topology of a set refers to its open sets and how they relate to each other. In the case of Q and N, both sets have a discrete topology, meaning that every point is an open set. This makes it easier to find a homeomorphism between the two sets, as the open sets can be easily mapped to each other.

5. Are there any other examples of homeomorphisms between dense and discrete sets?

Yes, there are many examples of homeomorphisms between dense and discrete sets. Some examples include the set of real numbers (R) and the set of integers (Z), and the set of complex numbers (C) and the set of points on a circle (S1).