Is the Problem of the Rotating Rod Solvable with Given Details?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Drew777
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Drew777
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if this problem could be solved as it is or if there is something missing from the problem.

A uniform rod 200cm in length is in equilibrium. An upward force of 200 dynes is applied 15cm from the right edge. If the rod is 50 dynes. At what point will the rod rotate about?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Drew777 said:
I was wondering if this problem could be solved as it is or if there is something missing from the problem.

A uniform rod 200cm in length is in equilibrium. An upward force of 200 dynes is applied 15cm from the right edge. If the rod is 50 dynes. At what point will the rod rotate about?

How can a rod be measured in dynes? Dynes is a unit of force.
 
DaveC426913 said:
How can a rod be measured in dynes? Dynes is a unit of force.

I guess it is taking everything into consideration and making the weight the downward force.
How can this rod stay in equilibrium is what I am wondering?
 
DaveC426913 said:
How can a rod be measured in dynes? Dynes is a unit of force.

Probably the same way you measure a person in pounds.