Is the Scalar \( R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2 \) Recognized in Mathematical Physics?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter joschu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Scalar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
joschu
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
In my calculations, I come across the scalar
[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2[/tex]
([tex]R_{ij}[/tex] is the Ricci tensor, [tex]R[/tex] is the Ricci scalar)
More specifically, I come across the integral of this scalar over a compact manifold.
Has anyone seen it before, and does it have any nice properties?

John Schulman
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me...
Up to a constant factor, that scalar is the second principal-invariant of the Ricci tensor. It is proportional to the second elementary symmetric function of its eigenvalues. How does it arise? (I've been interested in this invariant [not necessarily for Ricci] and have been searching for a geometrical interpretation [and physical interpretation] for it.)
 
Last edited:
joschu said:
In my calculations, I come across the scalar
[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2[/tex]
([tex]R_{ij}[/tex] is the Ricci tensor, [tex]R[/tex] is the Ricci scalar)
More specifically, I come across the integral of this scalar over a compact manifold.
Has anyone seen it before, and does it have any nice properties?

John Schulman
Since

[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} = R[/tex]

it follows that

[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2 = R - R^2 = R(1 - R)[/tex]

That's about all I can see about it.

Pete
 
pmb_phy said:
Since

[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} = R[/tex]

it follows that

[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2 = R - R^2 = R(1 - R)[/tex]

That's about all I can see about it.

Pete

No. [itex]R=R_{ij} g^{ij}[/itex]. The Ricci scalar has units, by the way...

I have no idea if the original poster is looking for a purely mathematical answer or not, but if Einstein's equations hold, and you have a perfect fluid with density [itex]\rho[/itex] and pressure [itex]p[/itex], that scalar is proportional to [itex]p(\rho-p)[/itex]. Normally, [itex]\rho \gg p[/itex], so the square root of your scalar is basically a geometric average of the density and pressure.
 
In my earlier post, I was too lazy to write
[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2=2R^i{}_{[j}R^j{}_{i]}[/tex],
where I've used the metric to raise and lower indices.
 
Thanks for the responses, especially robphy. I'll do a little research about the eigenvalues of [tex]R^{i}_j[/tex].

Here's how I came across this quantity:
I'm working in a rather specific area: I'm studying the relationship between the curvature of a Kahler supermanifold with the curvature of the underlying complex manifold.
I found that if a supermanifold with two "fermionic" dimensions satisfies [tex]R=0[/tex] then there's a scalar differential equation with some curvature tensors that the underlying complex "bosonic" manifold must satisfy. This equation has a bunch of terms in it, but if we take the integral of the expression over a compact manifold, we get
[tex]\int (R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2) dV=0[/tex]

Here's the consequence of this calculation that interests me:
If I can find a complex manifold where the above integral CAN'T equal zero regardless of metric, it is likely that I will be able to disprove a certain conjecture concerning Yau's theorem generalized to supermanifolds. Unfortunately, I don't know if such a manifold exists.