Is the schedule at a 4 year University anything like this:

In summary, the schedule at this 2 year college includes Chemistry, Math, Astronomy, and Computer Science courses spread out on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The courses range from 1-2 hours each and there are gaps on some days. Scheduling systems vary from school to school, but typically lecture courses meet 3 times a week for 1 hour each or twice a week for 1.5 hours each. Labs are usually once a week for 3 hours. It is not recommended for engineering majors to take 19 hours at a difficult school, as the typical load is 12-14 hours with additional homework and studying. This college also requires students to take general education courses in addition to their major courses.
Jurrasic
This is the schedule at a 2 year college by the way for about 19 units:
Monday Chemistry from 11:30am - 1:20pm, Math from 4:00pm - 6:15pm , Astronomy from 7pm - 9:20pm
Wednesday Chemistry from 8:30am - 1:20pm, Math from 4:00pm - 6:15pm , Astronomy from 7pm - 9:20pm
Friday Computer Science from 3:30pm - 9:20pm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks really badly planned, nothing on two days and many gaps on the others. If you are talking about the amount of hours I think it looks normal.

Scheduling systems vary a lot from one school to another. Where I teach, lecture courses usually meet either three times a week for one hour each in the morning, or twice a week for 1.5 hours each in the afternoon. A morning lecture class might meet Monday, Wednesday, Friday; or Tuesday, Thursday, Friday; or Monday, Tuesday, Thursday; or Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday; and sometimes at different times on different days.

Labs are usually once a week for three hours in the afternoon. A typical course load for science majors is five lectures plus one or two labs.

Not sure on the science majors, but doing 19 hours as an engineering major at a difficult school would be quite a gutsy move. The typical load at my college for most engineering students is 12-14 hours. That, plus anywhere from 20-40 hours a week in additional homework and studying depending on the person.

Here, everybody has to take a lot of "general education" courses in addition to their major field courses. So those five lecture courses usually include some English, history, foreign language, or whatever.

Related to Is the schedule at a 4 year University anything like this:

1. Is the schedule at a 4 year University set for the entire year?

No, the schedule at a 4 year University typically follows a semester or quarter system, which means it is divided into two or three parts throughout the year. Each semester or quarter usually lasts around 15 weeks, and there is usually a break in between each one.

2. Are classes at a 4 year University held at the same time every day?

No, the schedule at a 4 year University can vary from day to day. Some classes may be held at the same time every day, while others may only meet once or twice a week. It ultimately depends on the course and the instructor's preferences.

3. Do I have to attend classes every day at a 4 year University?

No, attending classes every day is not a requirement at a 4 year University. However, it is expected that students attend all scheduled classes and participate in any required activities or assignments.

4. Can I choose my own schedule at a 4 year University?

Yes, students at a 4 year University typically have the freedom to choose their own schedule. However, this may be limited by course availability, prerequisites, and any other scheduling conflicts.

5. Are there any breaks or holidays during the school year at a 4 year University?

Yes, there are usually breaks and holidays during the school year at a 4 year University. These may include a winter break, spring break, and summer break, as well as holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. Each University may have a different schedule, so it is important to check with your specific institution for more details.