Would you say my course-load is overwhelming?

In summary: Subconsciously, I'm probably trying to test myself and see if I could handle grad school and real research, but that is only a minor factor in my decision. In summary, the individual is a Sophomore considering taking another math class in the upcoming fall semester. They are passionate about math and physics and do not mind the lack of humanities classes. They currently have a schedule that includes math research, Calculus III, Differential Equations, Foundations of Mathematics, and University Physics 3. If they were to take another math class, it would be Intro Linear Algebra, bringing their total credits to 19. They are wondering if they can handle this course load and if it would be beneficial to take some classes in separate semesters.
Finesagan
Hello I am going to be a Sophomore in the upcoming fall semester. For the past couple of days I have been trying to decide if I should take another math class next semester. I am passionate about both math and physics so the lack of humanities does not bother me and honestly I am happier in the former types of classes. My current schedule includes:
UNDERGRAD MATH RESEARCH (Lecture) (3)
CALCULUS III (4)
DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS (3)
FOUNDATIONS OF MATHEMATICS (3)
UNIVERSITY PHYSICS 3 (3)

If I were to take another math class it would be INTRO LINEAR ALGEBRA (3), totaling in 19 credits. I would like to know if I devoted most my time to these classes, would I be able to get everything I'd want to get out of them. Do some of these class have more benefit in taking them in separate semesters or the same? I've set up my schedule so I only have these classes Monday, Wednesday and Friday (8am-2pm with at least 3 hours worth of breaks), thus leaving myself the rest of the time to study, do homework, and research. Subconsciously, I'm probably trying to test myself and see if I could handle grad school and real research, but that is only a minor factor in my decision. My heart is in the right place I want to do these courses because the work makes me happy. In conclusion, is this course load manageable. I would love it if you shared your experiences and thoughts on the matter!
Thank you,
Finesagan
(if it means anything I took 22 credits last semester and did very well, but I do not believe the courses are of the same caliber)

Physics news on Phys.org
Finesagan said:
Hello I am going to be a Sophomore in the upcoming fall semester. For the past couple of days I have been trying to decide if I should take another math class next semester. I am passionate about both math and physics so the lack of humanities does not bother me and honestly I am happier in the former types of classes. My current schedule includes:
UNDERGRAD MATH RESEARCH (Lecture) (3)
CALCULUS III (4)
DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS (3)
FOUNDATIONS OF MATHEMATICS (3)
UNIVERSITY PHYSICS 3 (3)

If I were to take another math class it would be INTRO LINEAR ALGEBRA (3), totaling in 19 credits. I would like to know if I devoted most my time to these classes, would I be able to get everything I'd want to get out of them. Do some of these class have more benefit in taking them in separate semesters or the same? I've set up my schedule so I only have these classes Monday, Wednesday and Friday (8am-2pm with at least 3 hours worth of breaks), thus leaving myself the rest of the time to study, do homework, and research. Subconsciously, I'm probably trying to test myself and see if I could handle grad school and real research, but that is only a minor factor in my decision. My heart is in the right place I want to do these courses because the work makes me happy. In conclusion, is this course load manageable. I would love it if you shared your experiences and thoughts on the matter!
Thank you,
Finesagan
(if it means anything I took 22 credits last semester and did very well, but I do not believe the courses are of the same caliber)

That's borderline. If I were giving advice to a student coming into my office to ask the same question, I'd look up his record from his freshman year, including course load, resulting grades, and standardized test scores.

The way some schools teach them, it can sometimes be easier to take Diff Eq after Calc III and 1st semester Physics.

Likes Finesagan
I'm just a fellow undergrad, but if I were you I wouldn't take linear algebra with the other classes. If instead of doing math research you were taking a lecture-style class, I'd maybe say differently, but with math research the more time you put into it the better, and there is really no upper limit.

Likes Finesagan
I would probably take calc iv the next semester unless you need it as some sort of prerequisite. Taking a lot of math sometimes isn't as fun as it sounds.

I think this looks like a fine 'math heavy' schedule. You could postpone linear algebra and take a distributional class if you wanted. I don't really like hum classes either but you should make sure that you are meeting your college's gen ed requirements if you have any.

Math research
Calc iii
Linear algebra
Foundations of mathematics
Physics

1. How much course-load is considered overwhelming?

The amount of course-load that is overwhelming can vary for each individual. It depends on factors such as your academic strengths, time management skills, and personal responsibilities outside of school.

2. How do I know if my course-load is overwhelming?

If you are struggling to keep up with your coursework, feeling constantly stressed and overwhelmed, and experiencing a decline in your academic performance, it may be a sign that your course-load is overwhelming.

3. What can I do if my course-load is overwhelming?

There are several strategies you can try to manage an overwhelming course-load. These include prioritizing your tasks, breaking down larger assignments into smaller tasks, seeking help from professors or tutors, and maintaining a healthy balance between school and personal life.

4. How can I prevent my course-load from becoming overwhelming?

To prevent your course-load from becoming overwhelming, it is important to stay organized and plan ahead. This may include creating a study schedule, staying on top of assignments, and communicating with your professors if you are struggling with the workload.

5. Is it okay to drop a course if my course-load is overwhelming?

If your course-load is truly overwhelming and negatively impacting your well-being, it may be necessary to drop a course. However, it is important to consider the potential consequences, such as delaying your graduation or losing financial aid, before making this decision. It is best to speak with an academic advisor before dropping a course.