Is the Second Hint for Newton's Law of Restitution Correct?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Harmony
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law Newton's law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
Harmony
Messages
201
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://mediocre.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/Newtons-law-of-restitution/
Shown in my blog, link provided.

Homework Equations


Newton's Law of Restitution, v2 - v1 = e (u1 - u2)


The Attempt at a Solution


I have done the question, actually...but I need confirmation. Can anyone please help me to check whether the no.2 hint is correct or not? (Located at the bottom of the post)

Thanks in advanced.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Quite correct. The coefficient of restitution is the ratio of the magnitude of the relative velocity of separation to that of the relative velocity of approach in the normal direction.
 
Yeah, but though I get the answer, I am not sure why only the vertical component of velocity is considered in the 2nd question. Or am I wrong?
 
No, you are right. The vertical component is in the normal direction. For now, you can take it to be a law of nature.