Is the Set of Lower Triangular Matrices a Subspace of 3x3 Matrices?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Sanglee
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let V be the spcae of all 3x3 matrices with real entries. Is W, the set of all 3x3 lower triangular matrices, a subspace of V? Why or why not?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution




I just think that all 3x3 lower triangular matrices are included in all 3x3 matrices with real entires.
So my answer is that W is a subspace of V. but I don't know correct answer.
and I don't know how to explain why I think W is a subspace of V...
I think I'm missing an important definition or theorem...?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Sanglee said:
I just think that all 3x3 lower triangular matrices are included in all 3x3 matrices with real entires.
That just means W is a subset of V.
So my answer is that W is a subspace of V. but I don't know correct answer.
and I don't know how to explain why I think W is a subspace of V...
I think I'm missing an important definition or theorem...?
You're missing the definition of a subspace. You need to understand that first. Then there's a theorem that tells you what you need to show to prove W is a subspace of V.