Subspace of a 4x4 matrix space

In summary: I can't seem to find a way to delete a thread. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the smallest and largest subspaces of a space of 4x4 matrices that contain all upper triangular and symmetric matrices. The smallest subspace is determined to be the zero matrix, while the largest subspace is determined to be the set of diagonal matrices.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This question is taken from Linear Algebra Done Wrong by Treil. Question 7.5 of chapter 1 says this:
What is the smallest subspace of the space of 4 4 matrices which contains all upper triangular matrices (aj,k = 0 for all j > k), and all symmetric matrices (A = AT )? What is the largest subspace contained in both of those subspaces?

Homework Equations

May be these aj,k = 0 for all j > k and A = AT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not sure with my answer because it sounds too short for such an elaborate question.
1st answer: the zero matrix, the one with all-zero entries.
2nd answer: the two subspaces themself.

Physics news on Phys.org
There maybe some grammatical ambiguity.
I read this to say, let U be the space of 4x4 matrices, V be the space of upper triangular 4x4 matrices and W be the space of symmetric 4x4 matrices.
What is the smallest subspace of U which contains V and W? To this question, the smallest subspace still has to contain all the upper triangular and symmetric matrices. So it cannot be smaller than the Union of the two.
The largest subspace in the intersection of U, V, W would be a subspace which has all possible 4x4, symmetric, upper triangular matrices.

Otherwise--the smallest subspace of any space is the 0 space.

The largest space question seems clear either way. So I ask, what type of upper triangular matrices are still upper triangular in their transposes?

But the zero matrix is an element in both V and W, using your notation. And I thought of that answer of mine referring to a term defined in the mentioned book as "trivial subspace" which consists of the vector space itself and {0} (the zero vector only). So I based on the fact that zero vector has its own name that's why I choose that answer.

RUber said:
The largest subspace in the intersection of U, V, W would be a subspace which has all possible 4x4, symmetric, upper triangular matrices.
So by this you mean all matrices which are symmetric and upper triangular at the same time, which means the diagonal matrices? In that case it seems like the largest subspace contains "smaller" number of elements, well I know I can't really say "smaller" since there are infinite number of possibilities. I mean it's stricter than the smallest subspace.
Is there something I understand it wrong?

IDK about Linear Algebra done wrong, but this thread is off-topic for an Intro Physics HW forum.

I'm moving it the the Calculus and Beyond HW forum.

I interpret the first question to be asking for a subspace X of U such that V and W are subspaces of X. The trivial subspace does not contain V and W.
For the second, I think diagonal is right.

Ah sorry, I'm fine with that.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. How is a subspace defined in the context of a 4x4 matrix space?

In the context of a 4x4 matrix space, a subspace is a subset of all 4x4 matrices that also satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under matrix addition and multiplication by a scalar, and contains the zero matrix.

3. How do you determine if a given set of matrices is a subspace of a 4x4 matrix space?

To determine if a given set of matrices is a subspace of a 4x4 matrix space, you can check if it satisfies the properties of a vector space. This includes checking if it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero matrix.

4. Can a subspace of a 4x4 matrix space have more than 16 matrices?

No, a subspace of a 4x4 matrix space can have a maximum of 16 matrices. This is because a 4x4 matrix has 16 elements, and each element can take on any value. Therefore, the number of possible matrices in a subspace cannot exceed 16.

5. How does understanding subspaces in a 4x4 matrix space relate to real-world applications?

Understanding subspaces in a 4x4 matrix space can be useful in various applications such as image and signal processing, computer graphics, and data analysis. For example, in image processing, a subspace can be used to represent a set of similar images, making it easier to manipulate and analyze them. In data analysis, subspaces can be used to reduce the dimensionality of data, making it easier to visualize and understand complex datasets.