Is the Set of Orthogonal Vectors to Any Non-Zero Vector a Subspace?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
ercagpince
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a space [tex]V^{n}[/tex] , prove that the set of all vectors
[tex]\left\{|V^{1}_{\bot}> |V^{2}_{\bot}> |V^{3}_{\bot}> ... \right\}[/tex]
orthogonal to any [tex]|V> \neq 0[/tex] , form a subspace [tex]V^{n-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to make a linear combination from that set and product with <V|, I yielded nothing logical , at least I didn't understand the outcome .
I wrote <V| as linear combination of basis in V^n vector space , I thought
that since the |V> and those vectors share the same vector space , it might be possible that they have the same orthogonal basis (just an assumption which is probably false) .

All it left to me the product of components of these vectors as a matrix , but as i said before I have no clue that I am doing the right thing to solve this problem .
 
Physics news on Phys.org
X is orthogonal to V if <V|X>=0. To show such vectors form a subspace you just have to show if X and Y are orthogonal to V and c is a scalar then cA and A+B are also orthogonal to V.
 
ercagpince said:
What are A and B ?

Ooops. I meant show cX and X+Y are orthogonal to V. Forgot my notation.
 
how can I show it ?
That is the problem actually .
 
Use properties of the inner product! <V|(X+Y)>=<V|X>+<V|Y>, for example.
 
Why in the world is this under "physics"? This is a pretty standard Linear Algebra question!
 
I saw this problem on a quantum mechanics textbook , that's why I subscribed it in here .

Thank you dick by the way .