Is the Sum of Christoffel Symbols Equal to Their Negative in Tensor Calculus?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter elfmotat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Christoffel Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
elfmotat
Messages
260
Reaction score
2
Is the following true?
[tex]\Gamma_{\mu \nu \alpha}+\Gamma_{\nu \mu \alpha}=-2\Gamma_{\alpha \mu \nu}[/tex]
where:
[tex]\Gamma_{\alpha \mu \nu}=g_{\alpha \sigma}\Gamma^{\sigma}_{~\mu \nu}[/tex]

I ask because, while bored in a philosophy lecture, I decided to try to derive the geodesic equation by extremizing ∫gμνuμuνdλ, where uμ = dxμ/dλ.

I was able to arrive at the following, where aμ=duμ/dλ:
[tex]2a_\alpha = (\Gamma_{\mu \nu \alpha}+\Gamma_{\nu \mu \alpha})u^\mu u^\nu[/tex]

So, am I on the right track or did I make an error somewhere?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, they are clearly not equal. From the definition of the Christoffel symbols in terms of the metric, I found that:

[tex](\Gamma_{\mu \nu \alpha}+\Gamma_{\nu \mu \alpha})=\partial_\alpha <br /> g_{\mu \nu }[/tex]
This makes sense, because [itex]\nabla_\alpha g_{\mu \nu }=0[/itex].

Unfortunately for me though, this is clearly not equal to [itex]-2\Gamma_{\alpha \mu \nu}[/itex] given that:

[tex]-2\Gamma_{\alpha \mu \nu}=\partial_\alpha g_{\mu \nu}-\partial_\mu g_{\nu \alpha}-\partial_\nu g_{\mu \alpha }[/tex]