Is the sun visible if you're standing on the moon?

In summary, there are few pictures of the sun taken because it is difficult to take pictures of the sun without proper filters. The pictures that have been taken are of sunsets and sunrises, which are more interesting because of the lack of atmosphere on the moon. Although the Earth should always look bigger and/or closer than the moon does from Earth, in this picture the Earth looks smaller and/or farther away.
buzzdiamond said:
My educated guess is that you can see the sun if you were standing on the moon. Having said that, why isn't there any pictures of the sun taken by astronauts who've "supposedly" walked on the moon..? This seems odd to me.

I think this is a good question. After searching a bit - it seems the primary photography target is Earth.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
trollcast said:
There are a couple of pictures of the sun taken from the moon from the Apollo 17 on this web site

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollo/catalog/70mm/magazine/?134

The picture reference numbers are AS17-134-20410 and AS17-134-20411

enosis_ said:
I think this is a good question. After searching a bit - it seems the primary photography target is Earth.

There were pictures taken of the sun, not sure if they were intentional or not as previously has been said the cameras could have been damaged by direct shots of the sun.