Is the tangent line really a point when the slope is zero?

In summary, the given parametric equations represent three intersecting planes where x=m, y=n, and z=o. This results in a point as the tangent line at t=f due to all three derivatives being 0. The equation for a line, r(t) = <Px,Py,Pz>+tv, can still be used but results in a vector with direction at the point of intersection. The surface is not discontinuous at t=f and can be visualized using a 3D plotting program.
hellsingfan

Homework Statement

I was given parametric equations.

x(t) = a(t)
y(t) = b(t)
z(t) = c(t)

where a, b, and c are functions that depend on t.

I was supposed to find equation of the tangent line at t = f given:

x(f)= m
y(f) = n
z (f) = o

where m,n,o are some constant numbers

and given
x'(f)=y'(f)=z'(f)= 0

Homework Equations

I think this is the relevant equation though its not given.
r(t) = <Px,Py,Pz>+tv

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm super confused here. Given that the derivative of x(t),y(t),z(t) are all 0 at t=f. Then There is no slope whatsoever. That means its basically 3 intersecting planes where x=m, y=n, and z=o. Which isn't a line but a point.

If I use the equation for a line r(t) = <Px,Py,Pz>+tv then,

<Px,Py,Pz> = <m,n,o>
and v = <0,0,0>

so r(t) = <m,n,o>+t<0,0,0> = <m,n,o>

But <m,n,o> is a vector with direction, while I already know that the tangent is only a point (m,n,o) given by the intersection of planes x=m, y=n, z=o.

Is <m,n,o> vector really the tangent line, I feel like there is no 'line' as its a point.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to infer that the surface is not discontinuous at t=f - or the problem does not make sense.
To help you understand the situation - have a play around with the conditions:
i.e. x=t-f+m, y=(t-f)^2+n, z=(t-f)^3+o ... what's the tangent for t=f?

If you have a 3D plotting program, pick some values for f,m,n,o and see what the surface looks like.

What is a tangent line with slope = 0?

A tangent line with slope = 0 is a line that touches a curve at only one point and has a slope of 0 at that point. This means that the tangent line is parallel to the x-axis and does not rise or fall at that specific point on the curve.

How do you find the tangent line with slope = 0?

To find the tangent line with slope = 0, you first need to find the derivative of the curve at the specific point. Next, you set the derivative equal to 0 and solve for the x-value. This x-value is the point where the tangent line will touch the curve. Then, you can find the y-value at this point and use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

Why is the slope of a tangent line with slope = 0 important?

The slope of a tangent line with slope = 0 is important because it represents the rate of change of the curve at that specific point. A slope of 0 means that the curve is not changing at that point, and it is a critical point on the curve. This can provide valuable information about the behavior of the curve and its critical points.

What does a tangent line with slope = 0 tell us about the curve?

A tangent line with slope = 0 tells us that the curve has a horizontal tangent at that specific point. This means that the curve is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point and can provide information about the maximum or minimum points on the curve.

Can a curve have more than one tangent line with slope = 0?

Yes, a curve can have more than one tangent line with slope = 0. This can occur at points where the curve changes direction, such as at a local maximum or minimum. In these cases, the curve will have a horizontal tangent line with slope = 0 at each point of change in direction.