1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a book(source) wich describes fluid mechanics from n-s equations?

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    ¿Is there a book(source) wich describes fluid mechanics from n-s equations?

I mean that when i start to read a book on fluid mechanics I can see particular cases of compresible, incompresible, viscous... with easier equations than the navier stokes, but it is very confusing to me because I don't see a general picture of the situation.

I search for a book that begins with navier stokes equations and then, using the corresponding approximations, explains the particular cases, using deductive reasoning, non inductive.

¿Where can I find this?. A general picture of fluid mechanics would help a lot.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: ¿Is there a book(source) wich describes fluid mechanics from n-s equations?

The NS system of equations is nothing more than conservation of momentum (or F= dp/dt).

Any decent book on continuum mechanics will have a good discussion; Dover has a book by Spencer, there are also books by Lai and Malvern. Get thee to your library and see what's there.

4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    Re: ¿Is there a book(source) wich describes fluid mechanics from n-s equations?

Thanks for the answer Andy Resnick, I have found the book of Lai "Introduction to continuum mechanics" for free on the net, I will study it very carefully, I have a thorn to this topic.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook