Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a book(source) wich describes fluid mechanics from n-s equations?

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    ¿Is there a book(source) wich describes fluid mechanics from n-s equations?

I mean that when i start to read a book on fluid mechanics I can see particular cases of compresible, incompresible, viscous... with easier equations than the navier stokes, but it is very confusing to me because I don't see a general picture of the situation.

I search for a book that begins with navier stokes equations and then, using the corresponding approximations, explains the particular cases, using deductive reasoning, non inductive.

¿Where can I find this?. A general picture of fluid mechanics would help a lot.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: ¿Is there a book(source) wich describes fluid mechanics from n-s equations?

The NS system of equations is nothing more than conservation of momentum (or F= dp/dt).

Any decent book on continuum mechanics will have a good discussion; Dover has a book by Spencer, there are also books by Lai and Malvern. Get thee to your library and see what's there.

4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    Re: ¿Is there a book(source) wich describes fluid mechanics from n-s equations?

Thanks for the answer Andy Resnick, I have found the book of Lai "Introduction to continuum mechanics" for free on the net, I will study it very carefully, I have a thorn to this topic.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook