Newton's law of viscosity in 3D, used to derive Navier-Stoke

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the derivation of the Navier-Stokes equations and the relationship between strain rates and shear stresses in three dimensions. The concept of normal components in the viscous shear stress tensor is also brought up, with an explanation that these are not shear stresses but rather normal stresses resulting from tensile and compressive deformations. The book "Transport Phenomena" is mentioned as a resource for understanding the derivation, and the concept of a Newtonian fluid is also briefly touched upon.
cantgetaname
I'm trying to understand how the Navier-Stokes equations are derived and having trouble understanding how the strain rates are related to shear stresses in three dimensions, what a lot of texts refer to as the 'Stokes relations'.

http://soliton.ae.gatech.edu/labs/windtunl/classes/hispd/hispd06/ns_eqns.html

Image466.gif

It's no longer the simple stress=viscosity*velocity gradient of the 1d case, but more complicated than that and none of the books I could get my hands on or the internet could show me how these relations are derived. They are just mentioned there as if they are obvious but I can't see how.

And what does the normal components in viscous shear stress tensor (τxx, τyy, τzz) even mean? How can you have viscous shear stress normal to a surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
cantgetaname said:
I'm trying to understand how the Navier-Stokes equations are derived and having trouble understanding how the strain rates are related to shear stresses in three dimensions, what a lot of texts refer to as the 'Stokes relations'.

http://soliton.ae.gatech.edu/labs/windtunl/classes/hispd/hispd06/ns_eqns.html

Image466.gif

It's no longer the simple stress=viscosity*velocity gradient of the 1d case, but more complicated than that and none of the books I could get my hands on or the internet could show me how these relations are derived. They are just mentioned there as if they are obvious but I can't see how.

And what does the normal components in viscous shear stress tensor (τxx, τyy, τzz) even mean? How can you have viscous shear stress normal to a surface.
An outline of the derivation you are looking for is presented in Section 1.2 of Bird, R.B., Stewart, W.E., and Lightfoot, E.N., Transport Phenomena.

In terms of your question regarding viscous "shear" stresses normal to a surface, the answer is that these are not shear stresses (at least not in the a coordinate system aligned with the surface). These are normal stresses resulting from the tensile and compressive deformations that are occurring along the coordinate directions. Are you familiar with the 3D version of Hooke's law for solids? There you have tensile normal strains, and you have corresponding tensile normal stresses. This is the analogous thing for a fluid. For example, if you have a rod of a very viscous fluid and you apply tension to the rod, it will experience a rate of deformation in the axial direction. The force you are applying divided by the cross section area of the rod is the normal stress. For an incompressible viscous fluid, the stress is 3 times the viscosity times the rate of extension.

Chet

Are you familiar with continuum mechanics? A Newtonian fluid is actually one where the viscous stresses are directly proportional to the rate of strain. If you are familiar with continuum mechanics and tensors, the above equations are easily derived.

Chestermiller said:
An outline of the derivation you are looking for is presented in Section 1.2 of Bird, R.B., Stewart, W.E., and Lightfoot, E.N., Transport Phenomena.

In terms of your question regarding viscous "shear" stresses normal to a surface, the answer is that these are not shear stresses (at least not in the a coordinate system aligned with the surface). These are normal stresses resulting from the tensile and compressive deformations that are occurring along the coordinate directions. Are you familiar with the 3D version of Hooke's law for solids? There you have tensile normal strains, and you have corresponding tensile normal stresses. This is the analogous thing for a fluid. For example, if you have a rod of a very viscous fluid and you apply tension to the rod, it will experience a rate of deformation in the axial direction. The force you are applying divided by the cross section area of the rod is the normal stress. For an incompressible viscous fluid, the stress is 3 times the viscosity times the rate of extension.

Chet
That book does answer my question (although at present a lot of it goes over my head). Thanks!

1. What is Newton's law of viscosity in 3D?

Newton's law of viscosity in 3D is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that describes how the velocity of a fluid is related to the forces acting on it. It states that the shear stress of a fluid is directly proportional to the rate of deformation or strain rate.

2. How is Newton's law of viscosity used to derive Navier-Stoke equations?

Navier-Stoke equations are derived from Newton's law of viscosity by applying it to a small fluid element and considering the forces acting on it. This results in a set of equations that describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy in a fluid.

3. What is the significance of Navier-Stoke equations in fluid mechanics?

Navier-Stoke equations are important in fluid mechanics as they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids. They are used to solve a wide range of problems, from simple flows to complex turbulent flows.

4. Are there any limitations to using Newton's law of viscosity and Navier-Stoke equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using these equations. They assume that the fluid is Newtonian (constant viscosity) and incompressible, which may not always be the case. They also do not account for some important physical phenomena such as turbulence and boundary layers.

5. Can Newton's law of viscosity and Navier-Stoke equations be applied to all types of fluids?

No, these equations are primarily used for Newtonian fluids (liquids and gases that behave like water) and cannot be applied to non-Newtonian fluids such as blood, ketchup, and polymers. In these cases, more specialized equations must be used.