Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a closed form for this?

1. Jan 25, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I have this integral:

[tex]\int_0^∞ \ln(1+x)\,e^{-x}\,dx[/tex]

Is there any closed form expression for it?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Integration by parts shows that the result contains the Exponential integral function Ei evaluated in -1.
    Depends of whether you call that a closed form expression.

4. Jan 25, 2016 #3
    No, I need it in basic functions that have simple derivatives.

5. Jan 25, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the derivative of Ei is ##\frac{e^x}{x}##.

6. Jan 25, 2016 #5
    OK, thanks. Does ##e^{-x}## goes to zero faster than ##\ln(1+x)## goes to infility as ##x→∞##?

7. Jan 25, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. If not your integral wouldn't give a finite result. ##e^{-x}## also goes to zero faster than any polynomial goes to infinity as ##x→+∞##.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  8. Jan 25, 2016 #7
    OK. I worked the analysis, and it won't work with me. I have something like this

[tex]
    \int_0^∞ \ln(1+s\,x)\,e^{-x}\,dx
    [/tex]

and I need to find

[tex]
    \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\int_0^∞ \ln(1+s\,x)\,e^{-x}\,dx
    [/tex]

from which I need to find ##s##. The integral is a complicated function of the argument ##s##.

9. Jan 25, 2016 #8

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

See https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/derivative-of-integral.853211/

As discussed there, you actually need to find the Fréchet derivative of the functional acting on the function s. I have made some comments on this in that topic, but I don't think you found them very helpful, so I will rest my case. However, I wanted to point out that this problem was already discussed.

10. Jan 25, 2016 #9
    It is not that I found your comments unhelpful, but I just wanted to know enough to do the analysis, without going into the details. If I follow the same logic as the paper I attached there, and applied it to my problem here, I will have the p.d.f of ##x## appearing in the derivative. How to handle this when I need some numerical results?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook