Closed form solution for this integral

In summary: It requires numerical methods. In summary, the conversation discusses an integral that cannot be solved using a closed form solution, but can be expressed in terms of cosine and sine integrals. The derivative of this integral can also be calculated, but the overall optimization problem it is a part of requires numerical methods.
Oedipus
After series of algebraic simplifications, I ended up with the following integral:

##\int_0^\infty \exp(-Kx) \arctan(x) dx ##

As far as I searched, there is no closed form solution for the integral. But, K is my design variable that I need to optimize later. To do this, I need to take K out of the integral. Can you manipulate this integral to express e.g., as a closed form function of K, multiplied with an integral independent of K?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oedipus said:
As far as I searched, there is no closed form solution for the integral.
I guess there is a closed form in terms of cosine and sine integrals, Ci(x) and Si(x) respectively. If you are interested in this way, try solving that integral using partial integration first by choosing ##dv = e^{-Kx}dx## and ##u = \arctan x##. For the integral ##\int v \ du## you will get
$$
\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\exp(-Kx)}{1+x^2} \ dx
$$
This integral can be shown to have the result expressible in terms of ##\textrm{Ci}(K)## and ##\textrm{Si}(K)##. These integrals have a "friendly" derivative when you want to find the optimal ##K##. Although the ultimate solution for ##K## might not be solvable analytically.

Likes Oedipus
Thank you blue_leaf77. I tried but it is still very difficult to solve for optimal K. My overall expression for the objective is in fact a function of this integral. Here I only provided the most problematic part.

After integration by parts I have,

## \begin{aligned}
\frac{1}{K}\int_0^\infty \frac{\exp(-Kx)}{1+x^2}dx &= \frac{i}{2K}\left[ e^{iK}\text{Ei}(-K(x+i)) - e^{-iK}\text{Ei}(-K(x-i)) \right]^{x=\infty}_{x=0}\\
&=\frac{i}{2K}\left[ -e^{iK}\text{Ei}(-iK)) + e^{-iK}\text{Ei}(iK) \right]\end{aligned}##

where ##\text{Ei}(x)=-\int_{-x}^\infty\frac{e^{-t}}{t}dt## or ##\text{Ei}(x)=-\int_{1}^\infty\frac{e^{tx}}{t}dt##. This is the same as what you said when ##\text{Ci(x)}## and ##\text{Si(x)}## are replaced with ##\text{Ei(x)}##.

Oedipus said:
Thank you blue_leaf77. I tried but it is still very difficult to solve for optimal K. My overall expression for the objective is in fact a function of this integral. Here I only provided the most problematic part.

After integration by parts I have,

## \begin{aligned}
\frac{1}{K}\int_0^\infty \frac{\exp(-Kx)}{1+x^2}dx &= \frac{i}{2K}\left[ e^{iK}\text{Ei}(-K(x+i)) - e^{-iK}\text{Ei}(-K(x-i)) \right]^{x=\infty}_{x=0}\\
&=\frac{i}{2K}\left[ -e^{iK}\text{Ei}(-iK)) + e^{-iK}\text{Ei}(iK) \right]\end{aligned}##

where ##\text{Ei}(x)=-\int_{-x}^\infty\frac{e^{-t}}{t}dt## or ##\text{Ei}(x)=-\int_{1}^\infty\frac{e^{tx}}{t}dt##. This is the same as what you said when ##\text{Ci(x)}## and ##\text{Si(x)}## are replaced with ##\text{Ei(x)}##.
If you can get the derivative of ##\textrm{Ei}(x)## in terms of basic functions I think that will be helpful, have you found it?

blue_leaf77 said:
If you can get the derivative of ##\textrm{Ei}(x)## in terms of basic functions I think that will be helpful, have you found it?
The derivative of ##\text{Ei}(x)## can be calculated, but the overall optimization problem I am attempting cannot be solved simply by setting the derivative to zero.

1. What is a closed form solution for an integral?

A closed form solution for an integral is an exact and explicit mathematical expression that represents the value of an integral. It involves only basic arithmetic operations and commonly used mathematical functions, such as polynomials, logarithms, and trigonometric functions.

2. Why is finding a closed form solution for an integral important?

Finding a closed form solution for an integral is important because it allows for a clear understanding and representation of the integral's value. It also enables further mathematical analysis and manipulation of the integral, making it easier to solve complex problems and equations.

3. Is it always possible to find a closed form solution for an integral?

No, it is not always possible to find a closed form solution for an integral. In fact, many integrals do not have closed form solutions and require numerical methods or approximations to solve them.

4. How do you determine if an integral has a closed form solution?

The determination of whether an integral has a closed form solution depends on the complexity of the integrand and the techniques available for integration. In general, if the integrand can be expressed as a combination of basic functions, there is a higher chance of finding a closed form solution.

5. Can a computer program be used to find a closed form solution for an integral?

Yes, a computer program can be used to find a closed form solution for an integral. However, the program must use special algorithms and techniques that are specifically designed for finding closed form solutions, such as symbolic integration or computer algebra systems.