Is There a Geometric Interpretation for the Multiplication or Power of Angles?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angles Product
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Jhenrique
Messages
676
Reaction score
4
Exist an geometric interpretation for the multiplication of 2 angles? Or exist an geometric interpretation for the square/cube of an angle?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question is rather vague.Please Explain it more.
 
As in: ##\theta_1+\theta_2## would mean that an object underwent two rotations ... so what would ##\theta_1\times\theta_2## mean?

Angles don't have any dimensions - so multiplying angles is the same as scaling them.
 
adjacent said:
Your question is rather vague.Please Explain it more.

If I had asked what geometrically means the sum of 2 angles, you, probably, show me a draw like:

imagem.jpg


But if I ask what means α×β, what draw you show me for illustrate such product?

Simon Bridge said:
Angles don't have any dimensions - so multiplying angles is the same as scaling them.

But exist the solid angles...
 
I have never come across a situation where angles are multiplied together. To the best of my knowledge there is no reason to do this, so there is no geometric interpretation.
 
I was thinking if the solid angle could have some relationship with the product between plane angles...
 
Jhenrique said:
I was thinking if the solid angle could have some relationship with the product between plane angles...
We-ell, by analogy to multiplying two lengths you could argue for an angle-equivalent to an area but I don't know what that would mean.

The area of the surface of a unit sphere inside angles ##\theta## and ##\phi## would be (approximately) ##\theta\times\phi## ... that the sort of thing you are thinking of?

(Here the angles have to be specially defined.)
 
Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
The area of the surface of a unit sphere inside angles ##\theta## and ##\phi## would be (approximately) ##\theta\times\phi## ... that the sort of thing you are thinking of?

Yeah! But, I was looking for a exact correlation not approximate...
 
Well you could work out the exact version if you like - that's just algebra.
How do you find the area of a bit of a sphere?