1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is there a geometrical derivation of e

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    Hi All,

Mr. James Grime from Numberphile channel has said () that the Euler´s number e has basically nothing to do with geometry.
    I would like to know if there is any derivation of e based on geometrical arguments.

Best Regards,

DaTario

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

None that I've ever seen...

4. Jan 12, 2017 #3
    Thank you, Mark44.

5. Jan 12, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Probably not what you're looking for, as it is no construction method (as there can't be any with compass and ruler). But you can define ##e## to be the right boundary of the area under the standard hyperbola with its left boundary ##1## that equals ##1##.
    $$ 1 = \int_1^e \frac{1}{x}dx$$

6. Jan 12, 2017 #5
    Yes, fresh_42,

This kind of geometrical association seems to be more inclined to the calculus itself.
    Like e is the value of a base ## b ## such that ##b^{i \theta}## corresponds to the complete unit circle as ## \theta ## goes from ## 0 ## to ## 2\pi ##.

7. Jan 12, 2017 #6

fresh_42

How would you answer your question if it was ##\pi##? This is clearly a geometric number, but cannot be constructed either. It's the relation between diameter and circumference of a circle or the area of a circle to its squared radius. Circles and hyperbolas are closely related, so I find the definition above quite similar.

8. Jan 12, 2017 #7
    Radius, length, areas (total area), curvature are kind of anatomic parts of geometrical objects. Taking a function and doing a definite integral from a to b is a method which can generate almost anynumber, don´t you agree?

9. Jan 12, 2017 #8
    Take all squares having integer sides, take the inverse of these areas and sum. Finally multiply by 6 and voi la ##\pi ^2##.

10. Jan 12, 2017 #9
    Besides, the position of the hyperbola in relation to the cartesian system plays an important role.

But the axis in this case are the assimptote...

11. Jan 12, 2017 #10

fresh_42

No, I don't. The integral was simply shorter to write than to make a picture of the area. You can also generate any number as the area of a circle which is also an integral.

upload_2017-1-13_5-57-46.png

12. Jan 12, 2017 #11
    In the case of circle one can speak of total area. Regarding the hyperbola, it doesn´t happen. I see some difference, but I agree that there is some geometry involved here.

13. Jan 12, 2017 #12
    What is your opinion with respect to the example of the squares above?

14. Jan 12, 2017 #13

Mark44

What does this have to do with e? Wasn't that what you first asked about?

15. Jan 12, 2017 #14
    Sorry Mark44.

16. Jan 12, 2017 #15
    The importance of my question was in determining what is a geometrically based defnition. The use of ##\pi## was an exercise,

17. Jan 12, 2017 #16

fresh_42

Here you can find some more "natural" geometric identities involving ##e##
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_spiral

I admit, ##e## is kind of hidden in comparison to ##\pi## and I wouldn't call it a geometric definition as you required. But at least it's not completely out of business.

18. Jan 12, 2017 #17
    Ok, but the identities on this web page seem to be related to the logarithm as an operation which does not select, in principle, a prefered base.

19. Jan 12, 2017 #18

Mark44

The first definition they give, for a logarithmic curve, is ##r = ae^{b\theta}##. The next equation they give is for ##\theta##, in terms of the natural log function, ##\ln##. The parametric equations are given in terms of exponential functions involving e.

20. Jan 12, 2017 #19
    ok, but the parameter b tells us that any base could in principle be adopted, isn´t it?

21. Jan 13, 2017 #20

Mark44

The parameter doesn't have anything to do with it, as far as I can see. You can change an exponential expression in one base to any other base.

$$e^x = b^{x\log_b(e)}, b > 0, b \ne 1$$
    However, in the wiki article that fresh_42 linked to, the base was e.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted