Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Is there a isomorphism between N and Q?

1. Dec 20, 2006 #1
    Hi all,

I wonder if there is an isomorphism between the group of [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] and the group of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] (or [itex]\mathbb{Q}+[/itex]). I know there is a proof that there is a bijection between these sets, but I didn't find a way how to construct the isomorphism.

What confuses me a little is that (I think) the group of natural numbers has only one generator, while the group of (positive) rationals has more than one generator, so I can't see how the mapping would look like.

Thank you for any hints!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Well you've answered your own question, since the image of the generator should generate the image of the entire group. Can you make this into a proof?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  4. Dec 20, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Er, N isn't a group. Did you mean Z, with addition as the operation?

(And, I assume you meant addition for Q and multiplication for Q+)

There's no reason to think that the existence of a bijection as sets implies that there is an isomorphism as groups.

5. Dec 20, 2006 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a step in the right direction though.

6. Dec 20, 2006 #5
    Thank you, I've got it, I mixed the general set bijection and isomorphism between algebraic structures in my mind.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook