Is there a isomorphism between N and Q?

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an isomorphism between the group of natural numbers and the group of positive rationals. The group of natural numbers has only one generator while the group of positive rationals has more than one, making it difficult to determine the mapping between the two. However, the existence of a bijection between these sets does not necessarily imply an isomorphism between the groups. The conversation ends with the realization that this is a step in the right direction, but further proof is needed to establish an isomorphism.
twoflower
Hi all,

I wonder if there is an isomorphism between the group of [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] and the group of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] (or [itex]\mathbb{Q}+[/itex]). I know there is a proof that there is a bijection between these sets, but I didn't find a way how to construct the isomorphism.

What confuses me a little is that (I think) the group of natural numbers has only one generator, while the group of (positive) rationals has more than one generator, so I can't see how the mapping would look like.

Thank you for any hints!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you've answered your own question, since the image of the generator should generate the image of the entire group. Can you make this into a proof?

Last edited:
Er, N isn't a group. Did you mean Z, with addition as the operation?

(And, I assume you meant addition for Q and multiplication for Q+)

There's no reason to think that the existence of a bijection as sets implies that there is an isomorphism as groups.

Hurkyl said:
There's no reason to think that the existence of a bijection as sets implies that there is an isomorphism as groups.

It's a step in the right direction though.

Thank you, I've got it, I mixed the general set bijection and isomorphism between algebraic structures in my mind.

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures. It means that the structures have the same number of elements, and their operations and properties are preserved in the mapping between them.

2. What is the difference between N and Q?

N and Q are both sets of numbers, but they differ in their properties. N, or the set of natural numbers, includes all positive whole numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) and sometimes includes 0. Q, or the set of rational numbers, includes all numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, such as 1/2 or 3/4.

3. Is there an isomorphism between N and Q?

No, there is no isomorphism between N and Q. This is because N has a countably infinite number of elements, while Q has an uncountably infinite number of elements. This means that there is no one-to-one correspondence between the two sets.

4. Can a subset of Q have an isomorphism with N?

Yes, a subset of Q can have an isomorphism with N. For example, the set of positive integers (1, 2, 3, etc.) is a subset of both N and Q, and therefore has an isomorphism with N.

5. Why is it important to study isomorphisms between mathematical structures?

Studying isomorphisms can help us understand the relationships between different mathematical structures and how they are connected. It also allows us to generalize concepts and properties from one structure to another, making problem-solving and understanding mathematical concepts easier.