1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a isomorphism between N and Q?

1. Dec 20, 2006 #1
    Hi all,

I wonder if there is an isomorphism between the group of [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] and the group of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] (or [itex]\mathbb{Q}+[/itex]). I know there is a proof that there is a bijection between these sets, but I didn't find a way how to construct the isomorphism.

What confuses me a little is that (I think) the group of natural numbers has only one generator, while the group of (positive) rationals has more than one generator, so I can't see how the mapping would look like.

Thank you for any hints!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Well you've answered your own question, since the image of the generator should generate the image of the entire group. Can you make this into a proof?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  4. Dec 20, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Er, N isn't a group. Did you mean Z, with addition as the operation?

(And, I assume you meant addition for Q and multiplication for Q+)

There's no reason to think that the existence of a bijection as sets implies that there is an isomorphism as groups.

5. Dec 20, 2006 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a step in the right direction though.

6. Dec 20, 2006 #5
    Thank you, I've got it, I mixed the general set bijection and isomorphism between algebraic structures in my mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?