Is there a minimum wavelength for electromagnetic radiation?

In summary: Thank you for your reply. In summary, the wavelength is inversely proportional to the foton energy. So, the limit can be stated by the mass of the full universe. But how much near that limit can the light be? In theory, or in practice?
afcsimoes
The wavelength is inversely proportional to the foton energy. So, the limit can be stated by the mass of the full universe.
But how much near that limit can the light be?

Physics news on Phys.org
In theory, or in practice?

In theory, there is no upper limit. In practice, since we observe that the universe is not one very high energy photon, the actual existence of such a thing has not happened.

When our universe has came into existence the only "thing" was energy. As radiation, i think.

afcsimoes said:
The wavelength is inversely proportional to the photon energy.
But that energy is frame dependent. We can make the energy arbitrarily large and the wavelength arbitrarily small just by choosing a frame in which the light is blue-shifted by an arbitrarily large amount.

Likes dextercioby
Nugatory said:
But that energy is frame dependent. We can make the energy arbitrarily large and the wavelength arbitrarily small just by choosing a frame in which the light is blue-shifted by an arbitrarily large amount.
Yes. I forgot the frames question.
So, theoretically there are no lower limit for the foton wavelength and there are no upper limit also.
I realize now that i was thinking of the observer at the same frame of the local of foton's production.
Fotons are produced when a charged particule is decelerated. No massive particule can reach c. In pratice only near a hyper-super-massive BH exist some possibility of such near-zero-wavelength fotons be produced, rigth?

afcsimoes said:
I realize now that i was thinking of the observer at the same frame of the local of foton's production.
Any interaction that transfers energy to the electromagnetic field is going to create photons. In principle we can produce arbitrarily energetic interactions by colliding arbitrarily energetic particles. We can describe these interactions using any frame we choose.

BTW, it is spelled "photon", not "foton". I can't justify English spelling, all I can do is apologize for it.

afcsimoes said:
When our universe has came into existence the only "thing" was energy. As radiation, i think.

Not according to our best current models. The earliest phase of the universe's history that our models give us reasonable confidence for is inflation, and during inflation, the energy of the universe was all in the inflaton field, the field driving inflation. At the end of inflation, that energy was transferred to the Standard Model fields, what we usually think of as "matter" and "radiation".

Likes afcsimoes
Nugatory said:
I can't justify English spelling, all I can do is apologize for it.

Personally I think you should apologise for it instead o0)

Likes Nugatory
There's no need to apologize in this case. English is better than German in this respect, because it transcribes the greek ##\phi## with ph rather than putting f's instead. In English you still write "photography" while in German it's "Fotografie" :-(.

Likes afcsimoes
Hi PeterDonis, Thank you v.m. by your very enlightening reply.
I have learned that in physics the generic definition of field is that it is a region of space where we can assign a value to each and any point.
A gravitational field is generated by one mass. A static electrical field is generated by an electric charge with no motion (at the observer's referential). An electromagnetic field is generated by a moving electrical charge. And so on (for other kind of fields).
What kind of "thing" generates the inflation field? Can it be the reverse of a BH?
Thank you, again.
P.S.: I am sorry by my poor english
Best regards to all.

afcsimoes said:
the generic definition of field is that it is a region of space where we can assign a value to each and any point.

Not quite. The field is not the region of space; it's the mathematical object that assigns a value to each point in the region.

afcsimoes said:
And so on (for other kind of fields).

All this is not necessarily true. An electromagnetic field can exist in a vacuum, with no sources. A gravitational field, in the modern sense of spacetime curvature, can exist in a vacuum, with no stress-energy. It's true that in our ordinary experience, there are always sources somewhere associated with these fields; but that doesn't mean it must always be true everywhere for all fields.

afcsimoes said:
What kind of "thing" generates the inflation field?

Nothing you're used to. The usual model for the inflaton field (note that it's "inflaton", not "inflation", when referring to the field) is a scalar field, which is just an assignment of a simple number to every point in some region of space (more precisely of spacetime in this case since we're talking about a quantum field on spacetime). Such a field has no "source" in the usual sense--or, heuristically, you could say its source is itself, since there is energy associated with the field.

OK.Now I need some time to think about all that. these are very hard concepts.
Thank you, once more.
By

1. What is the minimum wavelength for electromagnetic radiation?

The minimum wavelength for electromagnetic radiation is approximately 10^-14 meters, also known as the Planck length. This is the smallest possible length that can exist according to quantum mechanics.

2. Is there a maximum wavelength for electromagnetic radiation?

No, there is no maximum wavelength for electromagnetic radiation. The electromagnetic spectrum is continuous, meaning that there is no limit to how long a wavelength can be.

3. Can electromagnetic radiation have a negative wavelength?

No, wavelengths cannot be negative values. Wavelength is a measure of distance and cannot be negative in physical terms.

4. How does the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation affect its properties?

The wavelength of electromagnetic radiation determines its frequency, energy, and behavior. Shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies and carry more energy, while longer wavelengths have lower frequencies and carry less energy. The behavior of electromagnetic radiation is also affected by its wavelength, as different wavelengths interact with matter in different ways.

5. Why is the minimum wavelength for electromagnetic radiation important?

The minimum wavelength for electromagnetic radiation is important because it represents the smallest scale at which the laws of physics can be applied. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental nature of the universe, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at extremely small scales.