1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a mistake in the assignment?

1. Oct 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm actually a tutor, and a student of mine at uni has the following differential equation with initial conditions to solve

ptuymQv.gif

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/ptuymQv.gif

From [itex]y(t) = c_1sin(3t) + c_2cos(3t)[/itex], it is not possible to solve for the constants using the given initial conditions. I always wind up with [itex]-c_2 = -3c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2 = -3c_1[/itex].

Am I missing something or are those init conditions NP?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you continue with your work, you get ##c_1 = c_2 = 0##. That means that the solution to the DE is ##y(t) = 0\sin(3t) + 0\cos(3t) \equiv 0##.
    That might not have been what the author of the problem intended, but it's a valid solution.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. Oct 18, 2016 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This response may well be more advanced than what the OP needs, but I'm giving it for others that might read this thread.

Those boundary conditions look like Sturm-Liouville type B.C.'s, and you wouldn't normally expect a non-zero solution for any old value of the constant, which is ##9## in this problem. For example, consider the eigenvalue problem$$
    y''+\mu^2 y = 0$$ $$y(0)+y'(0) = 0,~~y(\pi)-y'(\pi)=0$$Sturm-Liouville theory tells us there should be infinitely many eigenvalues ##\lambda_n=\mu_n^2##, with corresponding non-zero eigenfunctions (solutions). Is one of the eigenvalues ##\lambda = 9##? The answer is "no". Without boring you with the details, if you work out the details, the ##\mu_n## are solutions of the equation$$\tan(\pi \mu) = \frac{2\mu}{1-\mu^2}$$They can be found numerically and are where the functions ##\tan(\pi \mu)## and ##\frac{2\mu}{1-\mu^2}## in the picture below cross.
    eigenvalues.jpg

Unfortunately, ##9## isn't one of the eigenvalues, which is why there is only the trivial solution.
    [Edit, added]: Note ##\lambda = 9## would correspond to ##\mu = 3##.

5. Oct 18, 2016 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Unfortunate that the graph doesn't clearly demonstrate this by having the horizontal axis include [itex]\mu = 9[/itex].

6. Oct 18, 2016 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[Edit] This may need correcting, stay tuned...
    OK, the below is corrected.
    @pasmith: I was apparently asleep when I first replied. For ##\lambda = 9## we need ##\mu## near ##3##, which is illustrated in my previous post. The ##\mu## value nearest ##3## is 2.780188423. This leads to a solution of y = sin(2.780188423*x)-2.780188423*cos(2.780188423*x). Here's a graph:

solution.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted