Is there a mistake in the assignment?

In summary, the student's problem has initial conditions that do not allow for a solution and the tutor suggests modifying the conditions to make a solution possible.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

I'm actually a tutor, and a student of mine at uni has the following differential equation with initial conditions to solve

ptuymQv.gif

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/ptuymQv.gif

From [itex]y(t) = c_1sin(3t) + c_2cos(3t)[/itex], it is not possible to solve for the constants using the given initial conditions. I always wind up with [itex]-c_2 = -3c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2 = -3c_1[/itex].

Am I missing something or are those init conditions NP?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

I'm actually a tutor, and a student of mine at uni has the following differential equation with initial conditions to solve

ptuymQv.gif

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/ptuymQv.gif

From [itex]y(t) = c_1sin(3t) + c_2cos(3t)[/itex], it is not possible to solve for the constants using the given initial conditions. I always wind up with [itex]-c_2 = -3c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2 = -3c_1[/itex].

Am I missing something or are those init conditions NP?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If you continue with your work, you get ##c_1 = c_2 = 0##. That means that the solution to the DE is ##y(t) = 0\sin(3t) + 0\cos(3t) \equiv 0##.
That might not have been what the author of the problem intended, but it's a valid solution.

Last edited:
This response may well be more advanced than what the OP needs, but I'm giving it for others that might read this thread.

Those boundary conditions look like Sturm-Liouville type B.C.'s, and you wouldn't normally expect a non-zero solution for any old value of the constant, which is ##9## in this problem. For example, consider the eigenvalue problem$$
y''+\mu^2 y = 0$$ $$y(0)+y'(0) = 0,~~y(\pi)-y'(\pi)=0$$Sturm-Liouville theory tells us there should be infinitely many eigenvalues ##\lambda_n=\mu_n^2##, with corresponding non-zero eigenfunctions (solutions). Is one of the eigenvalues ##\lambda = 9##? The answer is "no". Without boring you with the details, if you work out the details, the ##\mu_n## are solutions of the equation$$\tan(\pi \mu) = \frac{2\mu}{1-\mu^2}$$They can be found numerically and are where the functions ##\tan(\pi \mu)## and ##\frac{2\mu}{1-\mu^2}## in the picture below cross.
eigenvalues.jpg

Unfortunately, ##9## isn't one of the eigenvalues, which is why there is only the trivial solution.
[Edit, added]: Note ##\lambda = 9## would correspond to ##\mu = 3##.

Last edited:
Likes pasmith
LCKurtz said:
View attachment 107655

Unfortunately, ##9## isn't one of the eigenvalues, which is why there is only the trivial solution.

Unfortunate that the graph doesn't clearly demonstrate this by having the horizontal axis include [itex]\mu = 9[/itex].

pasmith said:
Unfortunate that the graph doesn't clearly demonstrate this by having the horizontal axis include [itex]\mu = 9[/itex].

[Edit] This may need correcting, stay tuned...
OK, the below is corrected.
@pasmith: I was apparently asleep when I first replied. For ##\lambda = 9## we need ##\mu## near ##3##, which is illustrated in my previous post. The ##\mu## value nearest ##3## is 2.780188423. This leads to a solution of y = sin(2.780188423*x)-2.780188423*cos(2.780188423*x). Here's a graph:

solution.jpg

Last edited:

1) Is there a specific process for identifying mistakes in an assignment?

Yes, the process for identifying mistakes in an assignment may vary depending on the type of assignment and subject matter. However, some general steps for identifying mistakes include carefully reading through the assignment and checking for errors in spelling, grammar, and formatting. It may also be helpful to have a peer or teacher review the assignment for any errors that may have been missed.

2) How can I avoid making mistakes in my assignments?

To avoid making mistakes in your assignments, it is important to carefully follow instructions and double check your work before submitting it. It may also be helpful to take breaks while working on assignments and to ask for feedback from peers or teachers to catch any errors. Additionally, using tools like spell check and grammar check can help to catch any mistakes before submitting an assignment.

3) What should I do if I notice a mistake in my assignment after submitting it?

If you notice a mistake in your assignment after submitting it, you should reach out to your teacher or professor as soon as possible. They may allow you to resubmit the assignment with the correction, or they may provide feedback on how to avoid similar mistakes in the future. It is important to communicate openly and take responsibility for your mistake.

4) How do I know if a mistake in my assignment will affect my grade?

The impact of a mistake on your grade will depend on the specific assignment and how significant the mistake is. If the mistake is minor and does not affect the overall understanding or quality of your work, it may not have a significant impact on your grade. However, if the mistake is major and affects the accuracy or completeness of your assignment, it may result in a lower grade. It is important to communicate with your teacher or professor to understand how mistakes are evaluated in your assignments.

5) Can I still receive a good grade if there is a mistake in my assignment?

Yes, it is possible to receive a good grade even if there is a mistake in your assignment. It is important to communicate with your teacher or professor about the mistake and take responsibility for it. In some cases, they may allow you to resubmit the assignment with the correction, or they may provide feedback on how to avoid similar mistakes in the future. It is also important to remember that mistakes are a natural part of the learning process and should be seen as opportunities for improvement.