Is there a problem with the latex?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Matterwave
  • Start date
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

A lot of threads I've been looking at doesn't display the Latex code. It just says: Latex code: blahblahblah. All underlined. What's wrong?

Answers and Replies

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We have a notice up at the top of the page.

Attention: LaTeX is currently not working. We're experiencing some disk drive problems and files are unable to write at this time. We are looking into replacing the drive shortly. Thanks!

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ah, shows me for not reading notices. :P

Thanks.

I no longer see the announcement but I can't post Latex code and have it look correct.

I've even tried to cut and paste older Latex lines that look fine but the new "preview" do not look correct.

As far as you know - is Latex working now? is the problem on me?

latex is still down, sorry

no problem

Thanks

Is Latex still down? I can't seem to produce right Latex despite I thought what I typed was compliant to Latex code.

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is Latex still down? I can't seem to produce right Latex despite I thought what I typed was compliant to Latex code.
Yes, unfortunately, LaTeX is still down. We are aware of the problem and hopefully chroot will be able to resolve it soon.

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
lol @ people keeping asking if LaTeX is still down.

If you type something correct between tex-tags and it doesn't show, it's still down. If it does show, it's up again :)

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
where are we?

I thought the bronx was up, and the battery was down. :confused:

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
need to re-type?

Hi snoopies622! :smile:

I'm fairly sure you'll need to re-type it …

I think the server looks for a thingy created at the time of posting, and of course it won't be able to find one. :frown:

Alternatively, edit now, using extra symbols and the X2 and X2 tags. :wink:

...using extra symbols and the X2 and X2 tags.
I'm sorry; I'm not sure what this means. Not using LaTeX? Can one make a decent looking fraction without it?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I'm sorry; I'm not sure what this means. Not using LaTeX? Can one make a decent looking fraction without it?
Decent enough, yes. I just go for plain and simple, like: 1/2
But what tiny tim means is: 1/2

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
how vulgar!

Hi Moonbear! :smile:
Decent enough, yes. I just go for plain and simple, like: 1/2
You call it a plain and simple fraction …

some people call it vulgar!! :biggrin:
But what tiny tim means is: 1/2
Honestly, I never thought of that! :redface:

That's quite neat! :approve:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Honestly, I never thought of that! :redface:

That's quite neat! :approve:
Well, I never thought of it until I read your post here. :rofl: We'll call it a collaborative effort, then! :biggrin:

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Well, I never thought of it until I read your post here. :rofl: We'll call it a collaborative effort, then! :biggrin:
Patent pending... ?

Thanks all, but I think I'll just wait for the LaTeX to return. I hope the problem is fixed soon.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Testing...

[itex]E=mc^2[/itex]

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[itex]\LaTeX[/itex] is back up. I'm still not a fan of the font, though, so I'm going to try tweaking a few more things.

- Warren

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks chroot! :approve:

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
[tex]\mathrm{Y^A{}_Y}, \text{ it } = \cup p \text{ again!}[/tex]

Must we use LateX? Can't we switch to other language such as Wikipedia's one?
Well i notice some restrictions in LateX,
firstly, the mathematics symbols are sometimes too small and may cause confusion,

such as this, [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } \sum\limits_{x = 1}^N {\left( {{a_1}{b_{n + 1}}} \right)\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\sqrt {\frac{{n!}}{{r!\left( {n - r} \right)!}}} }}} [/tex]

Is that x-1 or x=1 ?

secondly, LateX doesn't know how to position itself in a suitable manner.
from the above example, the sentence "such as this" should position at the same line as lim x->[tex]\infty [/tex] , instead of above it. Another example [tex]{x^2}\frac{\partial }{x}[/tex]
In wikipedia, all equations are automatically adjusted to fit into the middle of the sentence for better viewing experience.

Sorry, these are just my random grumble....

ok i feel better now after my grumble.

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
AFAIK, Wikipedia is using LaTeX.
In your first expression, it is x = 1. From the context it makes sense, if you have any doubt just click on it and check it.
Even inline, you can write lim x -> [itex]\infty[/itex] and [itex]x^2 \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] very well if you just use itex tags instead of tex.

That said, if it takes a lot of server resources and - agreed - doesn't always look great, I am noticing that many sites, such as http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/PropertiesOfRiemannStieltjesIntegral.html [Broken] which seems to work rather nicely except for some messages at the top when not all recommended fonts are installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since PF is one of the most renowned science forums in the web currently, I thought the standard required would be higher.

I hardly use LateX now unless necessary.
Even if I have to use mathematical language to better illustrate my question, I normally use MathType® and save it as .GIF, then upload it to tinypic.com
Such as this,
2nl5t1x.gif

Attachments

Last edited: