Is there a reversed GKPW for AdS/CFT?

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ads/cft
In summary: I'll try to find the full answer. In summary, the propagator is obtained as the Green function for the appropriate equation of motion for the field in AdS.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In Ads/CFT, the famous GKPW equation gives a recipe how to calculate correlators in the boundary theory by using the bulk theory. But is there a reverse? What if I want to calculate the correlators in the bulk theory by using the boundary theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
You use the same formula. However, unlike in a QFT generating functional, where we can describe general correlation functions of off-shell objects, here we can only calculate on-shell bulk amplitudes. On the boundary, we have correlators of off-shell operators, but the sources for the bulk fields are the on-shell boundary values of the fields. Explicitly, we can say something like for an ##n##-point function in the bulk

$$ \int d\mathbf{x}'_1 dr_1 \cdots d\mathbf{x}_n dr_n A_{1\cdots n}(\mathbf{x}'_1,r_1;\ldots \mathbf{x}'_n,r_n) K(\mathbf{x}'_1,r_1; \mathbf{x}_1) \cdots K(\mathbf{x}'_n,r_n; \mathbf{x}_n) =\langle \mathcal{O}_1(\mathbf{x}_1) \cdots \mathcal{O}_n(\mathbf{x}_n)\rangle,$$

where ##\mathbf{x}_I## are the boundary coordinates, ##r_I## is the radial variable and ##K(\mathbf{x}'_I,r_I; \mathbf{x}_I) ## are the boundary to bulk propagators. It is not expected that one can manipulate these expressions to obtain the bare ##A_{1\cdots n}##, but the amplitudes for all combinations of physical states are in principle determined from the boundary correlators.

Likes Demystifier
Fzero, thank you for your illuminating answer, in view of which I can reduce my question to the following one:
fzero said:
##K(\mathbf{x}'_I,r_I; \mathbf{x}_I) ## are the boundary to bulk propagators.
How do I compute them? I mean, can I compute them by using only the boundary theory?

Demystifier said:
How do I compute them? I mean, can I compute them by using only the boundary theory?

As usual the propagator is obtained as the Green function for the appropriate equation of motion for the field in AdS. For example, with the upper-half space metric, the bulk-boundary function for AdS##_{d+1}## for a scalar field of mass ##m## is

$$ K_\Delta(\mathbf{x}',z;\mathbf{x}) = \frac{z^\Delta}{(z^2+|\mathbf{x}'-\mathbf{x}|^2)^\Delta},$$

where

$$ \Delta = \frac{1}{2} ( d + \sqrt{d^2+4m^2 })$$

is also the dimension of the dual operator in the boundary CFT.

fzero said:
As usual the propagator is obtained as the Green function for the appropriate equation of motion for the field in AdS.
By the field, you mean the free field, right? But what about the interacting fields in AdS?

EDIT: This problem seems to be solved perturbatively in the first paper linked by atty.

Last edited:

1. What is a reversed GKPW for AdS/CFT?

A reversed GKPW (Gubser-Klebanov-Polyakov-Witten) transformation is a mathematical tool used in AdS/CFT (anti-de Sitter/conformal field theory) correspondence, which is a theoretical framework that relates two seemingly different theories - a theory of gravity (AdS) and a theory of quantum field (CFT). The reversed GKPW transformation is used to map solutions of the AdS theory to solutions of the CFT theory.

2. How does the reversed GKPW transformation work?

The reversed GKPW transformation involves taking a solution of the AdS theory and using a set of mathematical operations, such as analytic continuation and conformal transformation, to obtain a solution of the CFT theory. This allows for a direct comparison and understanding of the two theories.

3. What is the significance of the reversed GKPW for AdS/CFT?

The reversed GKPW transformation is a powerful tool in AdS/CFT correspondence as it allows for the study of strongly coupled systems, which are difficult to analyze using traditional methods. It also provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between gravity and quantum field theory.

4. Are there any limitations to the use of reversed GKPW for AdS/CFT?

Yes, the reversed GKPW transformation is limited to certain types of solutions in the AdS theory, such as those with a high degree of symmetry. It is also not applicable to all types of CFT theories.

5. How has the reversed GKPW for AdS/CFT been applied in research?

The reversed GKPW transformation has been used in various research studies to gain insights into the behavior of strongly coupled systems, such as in the study of black holes and the quark-gluon plasma. It has also been applied in string theory and cosmology to explore the connections between gravity and quantum field theory.