Is there a specific way to pronounce subscripts in symbols?

• B
  • Thread starter Caleb2400
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an instructor's unique pronunciation of symbols with super and subscript, where the letter M with a subscript of "a" is pronounced as "ace of M" and C with a subscript of M is pronounced as "emps of C". The question arises whether this is a common practice and where the rule for enunciation can be found. Some suggest that the instructor may have dyslexia, while others believe the correct pronunciation would be "M sub a" and "C sub M".
Caleb2400
When my instructor lists off symbols with super and subscript, he pronounces it in a way I've never heard before. For example, M with a subscript of "a" sounds like he is saying "ace of M" and C with a subscript of M sounds like " emps of C". Is this common? If so, where is the rule for enunciation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you don't have the letters backwards? It seems to me he would probably be saying "a sub M" and "M sub C."

Likes Caleb2400
Caleb2400 said:
When my instructor lists off symbols with super and subscript, he pronounces it in a way I've never heard before. For example, M with a subscript of "a" sounds like he is saying "ace of M" and C with a subscript of M sounds like " emps of C". Is this common? If so, where is the rule for enunciation?
Maybe he's dyslexic.:oldbiggrin:

Many would say Ma as "M sub a" and CM as "C sub M". If he's saying "a sub M" it would be aM and similar for the other one.

Likes Caleb2400 and symbolipoint
Thank you all so much!

What is a subscript and how is it used?

A subscript is a small number or symbol written below and to the right of a letter or number. It is used to indicate the number of atoms, molecules, or ions in a chemical formula, the position of elements in a matrix or vector, or the coefficients in a chemical equation.

What is the difference between subscript and superscript?

A subscript is a number or symbol written below and to the right of a letter or number, while a superscript is a number or symbol written above and to the right of a letter or number. Subscripts are used to indicate the position or quantity of a certain element, while superscripts are used for exponents, powers, or indices.

How do I type a subscript on a computer?

The method for typing a subscript on a computer varies depending on the operating system and program you are using. In most cases, you can use keyboard shortcuts such as "Ctrl + =" for subscript in Microsoft Word, or "Cmd + Shift + =" for subscript in Google Docs.

Why is subscript used in mathematical equations?

Subscripts are used in mathematical equations to represent coefficients, subscripts, and indices. They help to clarify the position and quantity of elements or variables in the equation and make it easier to understand and solve.

Can subscripts be used in other languages besides English?

Yes, subscripts can be used in other languages besides English. Many languages use subscripts in their writing systems, including Chinese, Japanese, and Russian. In these languages, subscripts may be used to indicate tone, pronunciation, or grammatical information.