Is there a way to delete a topic?

• Thread starter Elite Jacob
  • Start date
In summary, Evo was told that his posts were deleted because they were considered off-topic and that he should have known better than to insult another user. He was also told that he should have read the rules before posting. He was also told that he should not attack the character of those who critiqued him.
Elite Jacob
Can't delete a post?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't allow user initiated post deletion after the edit period has ended. It can mess up threads and is often an attempted cover for cheating. However, if you report the post and provide a legitimate reason, we may delete it for you.

I again need a thread unlocked and if possible a post undeleted. I was unaware we referred to Earth as a "biosphere". I responded to an insult with unkind words, and as a result an admin closed the thread. I think the OP has the right idea about an explosion. If combined properly it's almost like making a Dyson sphere out of a planet or satellite. I wanted to share this, but if the Dyson sphere is just more "Star Trek" technology to these forums than it won't be of any more use to me.

I'm afraid your deleted posts will remain deleted, as you were advised "M class planets" are Star Trek make believe.

Yet again the point is missed. My misuse of a fictional term is not the issue. Admin opinion used to determine the course of a thread is not a healthy practice for a free flowing environment of thoughts, ideas, and scientific fact.

Last time you tried to insult me and remove my post I got it back, Evo. This isn't the first time I've experienced and admin abuse their abilities on these forums. I was insulted and responded to said insult. The thread is not off topic if the same ideas of the original poster has connections hypothesis to creating an "artificial biosphere". My post was relevant to other points as well since a point was made about the sublimation of carbon dioxide on the planet. The fact I added that I felt I was being trolled by someone insulting my choice of fictional terminology was another mistake on my part only because it gave the trolls what they wanted, his admin buddy's ability to close a thread and get someone in trouble.

Elite Jacob said:
Yet again the point is missed. My misuse of a fictional term is not the issue. Admin opinion used to determine the course of a thread is not a healthy practice for a free flowing environment of thoughts, ideas, and scientific fact.
The thread was closed due to it being hijacked and becoming a mess. I do suggest that you read the rules so that you know what is acceptable. We only deal with known mainstream science.

Last edited:
Elite Jacob said:
Admin opinion used to determine the course of a thread is not a healthy practice for a free flowing environment of thoughts, ideas, and scientific fact.

Your use of the term "Admin" is disingenuous. The scientific Mentors have been discussing that thread and your posts in it. The reasons some posts were deleted and the thread was closed has to do with science, not administration.

Elite Jacob said:
I was insulted and responded to said insult.
You were not insulted. Your post was described as "nonsense", nothing at all was said about you or your character. There was no implication that because you had posted nonsense you personally were deficient in any way.

Your response, however, was insulting. Rather than dealing factually with the criticism of the content you called them a "troll" and not a "real scientist".

They attacked the content of your post. This is acceptable here. You attacked the character of their person. This is not acceptable. Hopefully you can see the difference.

In the future, if someone does insult you then the proper response is to report it.

1. Can I delete a topic on my own?

Yes, if you are the creator or moderator of the topic, you can delete it. Otherwise, you will need to contact the creator or moderator to request deletion.

2. Will deleting a topic also delete all of its posts?

Yes, deleting a topic will also delete all of its posts. This cannot be undone, so make sure you want to permanently remove the topic and its contents before deleting.

3. Is there a time limit for deleting a topic?

Yes, most platforms have a time limit for deleting a topic. This is usually within the first 24 hours after the topic was created. After that time period, only moderators can delete the topic.

4. Can I recover a deleted topic?

No, once a topic has been deleted, it cannot be recovered. Make sure you are certain about deleting the topic before proceeding.

5. What happens if I delete a topic that has active discussions?

Deleting a topic with active discussions can disrupt the flow of the conversation and may cause confusion for other users. It is recommended to lock the topic instead of deleting it, or to contact a moderator to assist with handling the situation.