Is there an analog to Einstein's field equations for 2D?

In summary: In three dimensions, the curvature tensor has three independent components, while in four dimensions, there are 20 independent components. In summary, tensors are necessary for understanding general relativity because they accurately describe the concepts and geometry involved, regardless of the dimensionality of the space.
Cathr
I am not familiar with tensors and I would like to know if it's possible to understand GR without using them. I imagine we use them to describe four-dimentional space-time, because a regular vector or matrix wouldn't be enough.

Is there an analog of Einstein's equations for a 2D space (plane) and time, therefore a 3 dimensional space-time?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can only understand it in a conceptual sense without tensors. The common but flawed approach is the rubber sheet analogy with a bowling ball as some gravitating body and a marble that rolls around it, orbits it and eventually hits the bowling ball as its orbit decays.You can't read too much into other than geometry an dictate how an object moves.

Here's a book by Benjamin Crowell on General Relativity that initially lays out the theory without any heavy math and can give you a good understanding of what's covered by it:

http://www.lightandmatter.com/genrel/

Likes Cathr
Cathr said:
I am not familiar with tensors and I would like to know if it's possible to understand GR without using them. I imagine we use them to describe four-dimentional space-time, because a regular vector or matrix wouldn't be enough.

Is there an analog of Einstein's equations for a 2D space (plane) and time, therefore a 3 dimensional space-time?
We use tensors because it is not sufficient with vectors due to the concepts we wish to describe, not due to the dimensionality of the space. In fact, the dimensionality of the space has very little to do with things. We use tensors because they describe the concepts necessary to handle the geometry of the manifold, such as its metric and curvature. For example, the Riemann curvature tensor is a type (1,3) tensor regardless of the dimensionality of the manifold (in one dimension it will automatically vanish, but that is besides the point).

Likes Physics Footnotes, Cathr and jedishrfu
Cathr said:

Einstein's equation has the same mathematical form in 3-dimensional spacetime as in 4-dimensional spacetime. There is, however, a big difference in solutions. In 4-dimensional spacetime, there exist vacuum solutions of Einstein's equation (without cosmological constant) for which spacetime has non-zero curvature, e.g., Schwarzschild. In 3-dimensional spacetime, all vacuum solutions of Einstein's equation (without cosmological constant) have zero curvature.

Likes martinbn, Cathr and jedishrfu
@Orodruin @George Jones Thank you, I didn't know about that. It definitely means I should boost my math skills. Do you know any good soorces that explain tensors for beginners?

Cathr said:
@Orodruin @George Jones Thank you, I didn't know about that. It definitely means I should boost my math skills. Do you know any good soorces that explain tensors for beginners?
Fundamental tensor analysis should be available in any book covering mathematical methods in physics. Of course, there are also books focusing om tensors and delving deeper into differential geometry. It depends on what your level and goals are.

Likes Cathr
Thank you!

Thank you!

Orodruin said:
We use tensors because it is not sufficient with vectors due to the concepts we wish to describe, not due to the dimensionality of the space. In fact, the dimensionality of the space has very little to do with things. We use tensors because they describe the concepts necessary to handle the geometry of the manifold, such as its metric and curvature. For example, the Riemann curvature tensor is a type (1,3) tensor regardless of the dimensionality of the manifold (in one dimension it will automatically vanish, but that is besides the point).
Also, in two dimensions, curvature is fully described by a scalar, though, of course, the curvature tensor is defined as well; its components all being derivable from scalar curvature.

Likes Cathr

1. What are Einstein's field equations?

Einstein's field equations are a set of equations in Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity that describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy within it.

2. Is there a 2D analog to Einstein's field equations?

Yes, there is a 2D analog to Einstein's field equations known as the 2D gravity theory. This theory describes the behavior of gravity in a two-dimensional space, similar to how Einstein's field equations describe gravity in a four-dimensional space-time.

3. How does the 2D analog differ from Einstein's field equations?

The 2D analog differs from Einstein's field equations in that it is simpler and does not account for the curvature of space-time. Instead, it describes gravity as a force between objects in a two-dimensional space.

4. Can the 2D analog be applied to real-world situations?

The 2D analog is mainly used in theoretical physics and is not directly applicable to real-world situations. However, it can provide insights into the behavior of gravity in certain scenarios and has been used in the study of string theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the 2D analog?

Yes, there are limitations to the 2D analog as it does not fully capture the complexities of gravity in our four-dimensional universe. It is a simplified model and cannot fully explain the behavior of gravity in all situations.