Is there an easy review about topological insulator?

In summary, there is a review paper about topological insulator written for non-physics majors, suitable for someone with basic knowledge of classical and modern physics. It is authored by the pioneers of the concept and can be found in the APS journal or as a free version on arXiv.
MK Kim
Hello.

Is there a review paper about topological insulator which is written for non-physics major people?

If it will be helpful, I know classical physics, basics about band theory and little bit of modern physics, and have just finished learning quantum mechanics (with a book written by Griffiths),
but I am not that familiar with modern physics.
If there is a review about topological insulator which is suitable to me, could you recommend?

Thank you.

Sure! There is a nice basic review article by some of the people who first came up with the idea of topological insulators. I read it back when I was in undergrad and when I had a similar background as you, and I remember liking it back then:

http://journals.aps.org/rmp/abstract/10.1103/RevModPhys.82.3045

In case you cannot access that with your internet, here is the free version: http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.3895

1. What is a topological insulator?

A topological insulator is a type of material that behaves as an insulator in its interior, but has conducting properties on its surface due to its unique electronic band structure. This allows for the flow of electrical currents without any resistance, making it a potential candidate for applications in quantum computing and other advanced technologies.

2. How are topological insulators different from regular insulators?

Unlike regular insulators, topological insulators have an electronic band gap in their interior but have conducting surface states. This is due to the presence of topologically protected surface states that prevent the electrons from scattering and causing resistance. This unique property makes them ideal for applications in quantum computing and other advanced technologies.

3. What are the potential applications of topological insulators?

Topological insulators have potential applications in quantum computing, spintronics, and other advanced electronic devices. They could also be used in the development of more efficient solar cells and sensors.

4. How are topological insulators studied and characterized?

Scientists use various techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and transport measurements to study and characterize topological insulators. These techniques allow for the observation and measurement of the unique electronic properties of topological insulators.

5. Are there any challenges in using topological insulators?

While topological insulators have many potential applications, there are still challenges in using them, such as finding ways to control their surface states and integrating them into existing electronic devices. Additionally, the synthesis and production of topological insulators can be complex and expensive, making it difficult to scale up their production for commercial use.