Is There an Equation for the Force on a Charged Particle in a Magnetic Field?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Kracatoan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    hand
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
Kracatoan
Messages
114
Reaction score
2
Just wondering, is there an equation for the force exerted on a charged particle moving perpendicularly through a magnetic field?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah I see, but how do I get the vector cross product for something like a beta particle passing though a magnetic field which is perpendicular to it?
 
Kracatoan said:
Ah I see, but how do I get the vector cross product for something like a beta particle passing though a magnetic field which is perpendicular to it?

The direction is found using (qv)x(B). So depending on the sign of q, your vector will point in one of two possible directions.