Is there an equivalent to Siskel & Ebert for novels?

In summary, the conversation discusses various sources for book reviews, including Siskel and Ebert's reviews of movies, goodreads.com, and the NY Times book review section. The NY Times is considered a reliable source for book reviews, with an ever-changing team of reviewers. The Sunday edition used to have a dedicated book review insert, but it is now available online.
bluemoonKY
I read Siskel's and Ebert's reviews of movies from when I was 12 years old until their deaths. I found the reviews to be very interesting. The closest thing to an equivalent of Siskel & Ebert's reviews of movies to novels that I know of is amazon.com. However, amazon.com reviews of novels are just reviews made by any random person who wants to write a review.

What is the equivalent reviewer(s) for novels (if any)?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I want opinions on good novels, I go to goodreads.com

It takes advantage of large demographics to help you find types of books you're interested in. More nuanced than just one or two authorities with their subjective opinions.

Go to the 'recommendations' section. It gives you a sampling of books - or has you pick your own - and you tell it whether you liked or disliked them, and it starts to "learn" your preferences so it can recommend books.

bluemoonKY said:
What is the equivalent reviewer(s) for novels (if any)?
The NY Times has always been considered a reliable and more-or-less intelligent reviewer of books. They don't have a single pair of reviewers, but an ever changing stable of them. The NY Times Sunday edition used to be available just about everywhere in the US, and, in addition to it's popular and challenging crossword puzzle, it had a dedicated book review insert each Sunday so you could keep up with the latest stuff published and I pretty much used to buy it for that.

It seems to be online now:

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/review/index.html

1. What is Siskel & Ebert and how does it relate to novels?

Siskel & Ebert was a popular American television show in which two film critics, Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert, would review and discuss new movies. They were known for their entertaining banter and their famous "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" rating system. While there is no exact equivalent to Siskel & Ebert for novels, there are many book review websites, blogs, and podcasts that provide similar discussions and critiques of books.

2. Are there any well-known critics who review novels like Siskel & Ebert?

While there may not be a specific duo like Siskel & Ebert, there are many well-known book critics who review and discuss novels. Some popular names include Michiko Kakutani, Maureen Corrigan, and James Wood. These critics often write for major publications such as The New York Times, NPR, and The New Yorker.

3. How can I find reviews and critiques of specific novels?

There are several ways to find reviews and critiques of novels. One option is to search for the title of the novel on a search engine and look for reviews from reputable sources. Another option is to visit book review websites or blogs, such as Goodreads, Book Riot, or The Millions, which often have reviews and discussions of new and popular novels.

4. Can book reviews be trusted like the reviews on Siskel & Ebert?

As with any form of criticism, book reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. While some reviewers may have similar tastes to Siskel & Ebert, others may have different preferences and opinions. It's important to read multiple reviews and consider the reviewer's credentials and biases before forming your own opinion about a novel.

5. Are there any resources specifically for finding reviews of independent or lesser-known novels?

Yes, there are several resources specifically for finding reviews of independent or lesser-known novels. Some options include indie book review websites, such as IndieReader or Indie Book Reviews, or book blogs and podcasts that focus on lesser-known titles. Social media platforms, like Twitter and Instagram, can also be helpful in finding reviews and discussions of independent novels.