Is There an Error in My Christoffel Symbol Calculations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter redstone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
redstone
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
I'm learning about the Christoffel symbol and playing around with it, so I'm curious... Does the math work below, or have I done something wrong?

[tex]\Gamma^{j}_{cd}=\Gamma^{j}_{cd}[/tex]
[tex]g^{cd}\Gamma^{j}_{cd}=g^{cd}\Gamma^{j}_{cd}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}g^{cd}g^{jm}\left(g_{md,c}+g_{mc,d}-g_{cd,m}\right)=\frac{1}{2}g^{cd}g^{jm}\left(g_{md,c}+g_{mc,d}-g_{cd,m}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}g^{cd}g^{jm}\left(g_{md,c}+g_{mc,d}-g_{cd,m}\right)=\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{jm}\left(g_{mb,a}+g_{ma,b}-g_{ab,m}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}g^{jm}\left(g_{md,c}+g_{mc,d}-g_{cd,m}\right)=\frac{1}{2}g_{cd}g^{ab}g^{jm}\left(g_{mb,a}+g_{ma,b}-g_{ab,m}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\Gamma^{j}_{cd}=g_{cd}g^{ab}\Gamma^{j}_{ab}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the problem is that you're summing over both [tex]c,d[/tex] in

[tex] g^{cd}\Gamma^{j}_{cd}=g^{ab}\Gamma^{j}_{ab}[/tex]

and there's no operation that we can do to move [tex]g^{cd}[/tex] over to the RHS. There's no free index available to use

[tex]g_{ec} g^{cd} = \delta^d_e[/tex]

or similar identities.
 
OK, so I guess there's something wrong with the following too then?

1) [tex]g_{ab}A^{ab}=g_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
2) [tex]g_{ab}g^a_eA^{eb}=g_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
3) [tex]g_{ab}g^a_eA^{eb}=g^e_ag^a_eg_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
4) [tex]g_{ab}A^{eb}=g^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
5) [tex]g^f_bg_{af}A^{eb}=g^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
6) [tex]g^f_bg_{af}A^{eb}=g^f_bg^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
7) [tex]g_{af}A^{eb}=g^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
8) [tex]g^{af}g_{af}A^{eb}=g^{af}g^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
9) [tex]g^a_aA^{eb}=g^{af}g^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
10) [tex]A^{eb}=g^{af}g^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
11) [tex]A^{eb}=g^{ab}g^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
12) [tex]A^{eb}=g^{eb}g_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
13) [tex]A^{ab}=g^{ab}g_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]

Where did I go wrong here? Also, maybe you know of a good reference that gives a good overview of what is and isn't allowed in index gymnastics?
 
redstone said:
OK, so I guess there's something wrong with the following too then?

1) [tex]g_{ab}A^{ab}=g_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]

This is just a relabeling of indices and is correct.

2) [tex]g_{ab}g^a_eA^{eb}=g_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]

Here [tex]g^a_e = g^{af}g_{fe} = \delta^a_e[/tex] so this equation is correct.

3) [tex]g_{ab}g^a_eA^{eb}=g^e_ag^a_eg_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]

The LHS is [tex]g_{ae} A^{eb}=A^b_a[/tex], while the RHS involves the trace of [tex]A[/tex], so this equation is not generally correct.

4) [tex]g_{ab}A^{eb}=g^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
5) [tex]g^f_bg_{af}A^{eb}=g^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
6) [tex]g^f_bg_{af}A^{eb}=g^f_bg^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
7) [tex]g_{af}A^{eb}=g^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]

These are all equivalent to 3 and incorrect.

8) [tex]g^{af}g_{af}A^{eb}=g^{af}g^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
9) [tex]g^a_aA^{eb}=g^{af}g^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]

For both, the LHS involves the trace of the metric, while the RHS involves the trace of A, this is incorrect in general.

10) [tex]A^{eb}=g^{af}g^b_fg^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
11) [tex]A^{eb}=g^{ab}g^e_ag_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
12) [tex]A^{eb}=g^{eb}g_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]
13) [tex]A^{ab}=g^{ab}g_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]

These are all the same equation and are incorrect.


Where did I go wrong here? Also, maybe you know of a good reference that gives a good overview of what is and isn't allowed in index gymnastics?

Any undergrad relativity tex should spend some time explaining index notation. You should know that [tex]g^{ab}[/tex] is the inverse of [tex]g_{bc}[/tex] as a matrix so that [tex]g^{ab}g_{bc}=\delta^a_c[/tex]. You should also know that you generally never repeat an index twice in an expression.

Finally you could have actually thought about what your expressions look like in components as a sanity check. For instance, equation 13 above is telling you that

[tex]A^{11} = g^{11} \left( g_{11}A^{11} + g_{12}( A^{12} + A^{21}) + \cdots \right).[/tex]

The RHS is drastically different from the LHS and would not be satisfied by an arbitrary tensor A.

Do lots of exercises and the formalism will start to sink in.
 
fzero said:
[tex]g_{ab}g^a_eA^{eb}=g^e_ag^a_eg_{cd}A^{cd}[/tex]

The LHS is [tex]g_{ae} A^{eb}=A^b_a[/tex], while the RHS involves the trace of [tex]A[/tex], so this equation is not generally correct.

This confuses me a bit. The only difference between this step and step 2, is that here the RHS includes [tex]g^e_a[/tex] and [tex]g^a_e[/tex]
which I thought were both just identity matrices? so doesn't that mean it should be the same as step 2?
 
redstone said:
This confuses me a bit. The only difference between this step and step 2, is that here the RHS includes [tex]g^e_a[/tex] and [tex]g^a_e[/tex]
which I thought were both just identity matrices? so doesn't that mean it should be the same as step 2?

OK, I did make a mistake there. The LHS is

[tex] g_{ab}g^a_eA^{eb}= g_{eb} A^{eb}[/tex]

but the RHS is

[tex] g^e_ag^a_eg_{cd}A^{cd} = \delta^a_a g_{cd}A^{cd}. [/tex]

[tex]\delta^a_a = D,[/tex] the dimension of the space, so this is still incorrect.