Is there any proper way to print threads?

• Thread starter SVN
  • Start date
In summary, users on the forum are discussing the possibility of having a print-friendly option for thread pages or scripts that can be optimized for printing on-the-fly. Some users suggest using the web page printing feature in their browsers or using browser plugins for now. Others mention that a print-friendly option used to be available in the past but was removed during a UI overhaul. There is interest in having this feature reinstated or created by a user.
SVN
Sort of printable versions of thread pages or script optimising thread being sent to printer on-the-fly. Is there anything like that on this forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
SVN said:
Sort of printable versions of thread pages or script optimising thread being sent to printer on-the-fly. Is there anything like that on this forum?
I use the web page printing feature in my Browser (FireFox). This seems to work for me.

Well, for sure it does. But it takes five paper sheets, what could be «copressed» to fit only one when optimised for printing.

I just thought I overlooked this, it is a pretty standard feature for forums, as far as I know.

I meant «compressed»...

SVN said:
At the moment no there is friendly print option. Maybe in the future.

OK. Thanks for clarification.

Found this thread because I was wondering the same thing. According to an old thread from 2009, there used to be a print-friendly option but I guess not since the major UI overhaul. Overall the new UI is a huge improvement. Hopefully that feature will be reinstated eventually.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Some browser plugin like this one could help for the time being.

Likes gn0m0n
Joris, thanks, something like that would help at least for threads that aren't too many pages.

Well, for sure it does. But it takes five paper sheets, what could be «copressed» to fit only one when optimised for printing.

Does "optimised for printing" mean leaving out some parts of the web pages?

If so, a possible work-around is to use the "print preview" feature when it is available - either from your browser or from you printer software. You can see which pages contain the text you want printed and then only print those pages.

I think that's what the poster meant. Extensions like the one to which Joris posted a link allow even finer control over which elements on the page are printed. That should be great as long as you're not printing too many threads or threads with too many posts (just b/c it would become tedious selecting/deselecting the parts you want if you have to do it 10-15 times or more).

I may be able to put something together. Anyone else interested in a thread print function?

Likes Imager, gn0m0n, jim mcnamara and 1 other person

1. What is the proper way to print threads?

The proper way to print threads depends on the specific type of thread and the printing technology being used. Some common methods include screen printing, digital printing, and embroidery. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the appropriate settings for the best results.

2. How do I avoid thread breakage when printing?

To avoid thread breakage when printing, it is important to use high-quality thread and maintain proper tension on the printing machine. It is also helpful to use a lubricant or thread conditioner to reduce friction and prevent breakage. Additionally, properly maintaining and cleaning the printing machine can help prevent thread breakage.

3. Can I print multiple colors in one thread?

Yes, it is possible to print multiple colors in one thread using a process called "twist embroidery." This involves twisting two or more colors of thread together before printing, creating a variegated effect. However, this method can be more challenging and may require specialized equipment.

4. Is there a specific thread type that is best for printing?

The best thread type for printing depends on the specific project and printing technology being used. Some common thread types used for printing include polyester, rayon, and cotton. It is important to choose a thread that is compatible with the printing process and can withstand the desired level of detail and color saturation.

5. Can I print on any type of fabric with threads?

While it is possible to print on a wide variety of fabrics with threads, some fabrics may be more suitable for certain types of printing. For example, screen printing may work best on cotton or other natural fibers, while digital printing may be better suited for synthetic fabrics. It is important to test the fabric beforehand to ensure the desired results.