Proper way to graph xy = 1 for a cylindrical shell problem

In summary, for a Cylindrical Shell problem involving the graph xy = 1, the proper way to solve it is to integrate with respect to y using the equation V = ∫^b_a 2πy f(y) dy. It is important to use the correct variables in the integrand, as using 1/x instead of 1/y can result in an incorrect answer.
Eddie10

Homework Statement

Proper way to graph xy = 1 for a Cylindrical Shell problems.

Homework Equations

V = ∫^b_a 2πy f(y) dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I am rotating around the x-axis, so I am integrating with respect to y, but should I choose x = 1/y, or y = 1/x to solve my problem?

How are these two functions different? x = 1/y and y = 1/x different?

Physics news on Phys.org
They aren't different. Why do you think they are?

vela said:
They aren't different. Why do you think they are?
Well, if I am integrating with all y variables, shouldn't it make sense to use x = 1/y, instead of y = 1/x, so the variables match? For example, v = 2pi (Integrand Sign) f(y) dy.

Or, in this case, does the variables used not affect the answer once integration is applied?

Yes, of course. You need the integrand to be in terms of ##y## if you're integrating with respect to ##y##. Isn't this always the case? I guess I'm not sure why you'd think you could use 1/x in this case.

vela said:
Yes, of course. You need the integrand to be in terms of ##y## if you're integrating with respect to ##y##. Isn't this always the case? I guess I'm not sure why you'd think you could use 1/x in this case.

Yeah, I was double checking to make sure I couldn't use 1/x in this case, since I am integrating everything for "dy" instead of "dx".

Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of graphing xy = 1 for a cylindrical shell problem?

The graph helps visualize the relationship between the radius and height of a cylindrical shell that has a volume of 1. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to solve problems involving cylindrical shells.

2. How do I construct the graph for xy = 1 for a cylindrical shell problem?

The graph can be constructed by plotting points that satisfy the equation xy = 1. This can be done by choosing various values for x and solving for y, or vice versa. Once enough points are plotted, they can be connected to form a curve.

3. Is there a specific scale that should be used for the x and y axes?

The scale of the axes will depend on the values chosen for x and y. It is important to choose a scale that allows all plotted points to be visible and the curve to be accurately represented on the graph.

4. How does the graph of xy = 1 change if the volume is not equal to 1?

The graph will remain the same shape, but the curve will shift up or down depending on the volume chosen. This is because the equation xy = 1 represents a family of curves, with each curve representing a different volume.

5. Can the graph of xy = 1 be used for other types of problems?

Yes, the same graph can be used for problems involving finding the radius and height of a cylindrical shell when given its volume. It can also be used for solving problems involving the surface area or circumference of a cylindrical shell.