Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the proper way to read subscripts in Mathematics?

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    What is the proper way to read subscripts in Mathematics? Sometimes we come across functions with two arguments, where one of them is indicated using subscripts and in such situations, there is scope for confusion.
    Eg:[tex]L_n[/tex](X) can be confused with Ln(X)
    We can produce many more examples like this

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suppose you mean [tex]L_n(X)[/tex] can be confused with [tex]Ln(X)[/tex]

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

one is imply Ln, the other is "L sub n" or "L index n"

5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also, when [tex]Ln(x)[/tex] refers to the logarithm (natural base) it is usually written upright, as in [tex]\ln(x)[/tex] or [tex]\operatorname{Ln}(x)[/tex]. Usually, only certain standard functions have more than one letter, at least, I rarely call my functions other than [tex]f(x), \phi(z), \Psi(\vec r), \cdots[/tex], never fn(x), crv(x, y, z) or wf(r) :smile:

[edit]I just consciously read the topic title -- my above post doesn't really make sense does it?
    In your example, if I had to read the equation out to someone and confusion might arise, I'd probably use "L sub n" for one and "log" for the other. :smile:
    [/edit]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  6. Nov 19, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I actually say out the whole thing, it irritates all my friends >.< Eg [tex]\frac{d}{dx} f(x) [/tex]. My friends say "dee- dee x, eff, x" and i say "The derivative of eff x with respect to x". For this example it would be "The Natural Logarithm of x" as opposed to "The function L sub n, evaluated at x".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?