Is there any refined experimental result on flux quantum?

In summary: The results are in the paper "On the deviation of flux from the ideal value" which is freely available on the arxiv website.In summary, according to the new results, the flux is not a fraction/multiple of hc/e, but a combination of a quantized term somewhat greater than hc/(2e) and a varying term that depends on external field.
zhanhai
So far I have only found the initial papers of Deaver, Bascom; Fairbank, William and of Doll, R.; Näbauer, M.

Is there any later and refined similar experiment result?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "experiments on flux quantum"?
Do you mean experiments showing that flux is quantized? If so, see any paper/book on SQUIDs

to: f95toli

Deaver's results show poor stepwise distribution. Doll's results look systematic, but it is the only such result so far I have found.

Deaver's data near the 1st step seem too big, while those around the 2nd and 3rd steps seem too small.

I have read the "2e or Not 2e " article. It does not contain any new results, just story on Doll and Deaver's experiments.

The magnetic flux quantum is a 2010 CODATA fundamental constant. As such it must have been measured with half-way reasonable accuracy (NIST states a relative standard uncertainty of 2.2e-8).

http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/fundconst/Results

zhanhai said:
to: f95toli

Deaver's results show poor stepwise distribution. Doll's results look systematic, but it is the only such result so far I have found.

Deaver's data near the 1st step seem too big, while those around the 2nd and 3rd steps seem too small.

Could you please give some specific references. When I put those names into scholar I can only find references that are 40 years old. The flux quantum has -M Quack- has already pointed out been measured with very high accuracy in many more recent experiments. The inverse is the flux quantum (the Josephson constant) has been used to realize the de facto standard for the Volt for the past 20 years and is (after the second) the most precise realization of a SI unit we have (since it related the second to the volt).

Also, I still don't understand what you are looking for? Precision measurements?

First, thank f95toli and M Quack for providing the information.

The specific references are:

R. Doll and M. Nabauer, Phys. Rev. Lett. 7, 51 (1961); and
B. S. Deaver and W. M. Fairbank, Phys. Rev. Lett. 7, 43 (1961).

(In fact, in some articles they are cited in a "3 in 1" manner together with: N. Byers and C. N. Yang, Phys. Rev. Lett. 7, 46 (1961)).

Of the NIST listing relating to flux quantum, the paper "Absolute determination of the magnetic flux quantum using superconducting magnetic levitation" looks promising, but I do not have access to the full text now. I will try later. But I doubt if they directly measured flux quantum, as Doll and Nabauer did. Specifically, if they simply measured the the Josephson constant and toke inverse of the latter as their flux quantum, it could be meaningless to physics topics like "is the flux quantum a fraction/multiple of hc/e?"

I don't have full text access, but from the abstract it looks as if you might be right.

DOI:
10.1109/19.377913

"The current status of our superconducting magnetic levitation experiment for determining the magnetic flux quantum is described. The flux-up system has been improved significantly by using a Josephson voltage standard. Studies are also in progress to improve the mechanical measurement relevant to the floating body with the goal of reducing the uncertainty to less than 1 ppm"

OK, I have just got some newest results of myself, according to which the flux is the combination of two terms:

1) a quantized term some what greater than hc/(2e), (in fact the value of the factor has been determined; it is typically greater than one) and
2) a varing term that depends on external field, the size of the coil, and the penetration depth.

Depending on the direction of the external field, the varing term may decrease the overall flux, so when the external field is big enough and within a certain range, the measured flux can be close to hc/(2e). But as the external field further increases, the measured flux (step) decreases. This could be the reason why Deaver's data showed bigger 1st step and decreasing later steps.

1. What is flux quantum?

Flux quantum, also known as magnetic flux quantum, is a fundamental physical constant that represents the quantum of magnetic flux. It is denoted by the symbol Φ0 and has a value of approximately 2.07 x 10^-15 webers.

2. How is flux quantum experimentally measured?

Flux quantum can be experimentally measured using various techniques such as SQUID (Superconducting Quantum Interference Device) magnetometry, Josephson effect, and Faraday rotation. These methods involve detecting changes in magnetic flux and using them to calculate the value of flux quantum.

3. What is the significance of flux quantum in superconductivity?

Flux quantum plays a crucial role in understanding superconductivity, as it is the unit of magnetic flux that can penetrate a superconductor without causing it to lose its superconducting properties. The ratio of the magnetic flux to the flux quantum is used to characterize different types of superconductors.

4. Has there been any refinement in the experimental results on flux quantum?

Yes, there have been several refinements in the experimental results on flux quantum over the years. With advances in technology and measurement techniques, scientists have been able to achieve more precise and accurate measurements of flux quantum, leading to a better understanding of its value and significance.

5. How does the value of flux quantum affect other areas of research?

The value of flux quantum has implications in various fields of research, such as quantum computing, condensed matter physics, and materials science. It is also used in the design and development of sensitive instruments and devices, including superconducting magnets and sensors.