1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there something as instanteneous intensity of a wave?

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    At the moment I'm revising some interference and diffraction basics, and there is something that bothers me slightly and I can't quite figure it out.

The intensity of a wave over some area ##dA## is in general is ##I=\frac{1}{dA} \frac{dE}{dt}##. Clearly for an electromagnetic wave falling on a surface, the part ##\frac{dE}{dt}## is not constant and depends on time. So intensity should be a function of time.

In every text I encounter they seem to DEFINE the intensity as being the average over 1 period of ##c|A(t)|^{2}## where ##A## is the deviation of the wave at the area of interest. Are they simply using more practical definitions, and technically I'm correct above in a general sense OR am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The instantaneous rate of energy transport is going to be a function of the instantaneous electric and magnetic fields.

Here's a link with more:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/emwv.html

It gives the energy transport vector as

[itex]\vec{S}=\frac{1}{\mu_0}\vec{E}\times\vec{B}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{E},\ \vec{B}[/itex] are the electric and magnetic field vectors. Note that the direction of energy transport, being a cross product, is perpendicular to both, as one would expect.

By the way, that's the formula at a point. To get the energy transfer rate over an area, you'd need to integrate that formula over the area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted