Is there something wrong with this?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, the new tire on the front right looks crooked because it's new, and the new tire on the front left is also new. The front right control arm is broken, and the front left control arm is broken. The car has damage to the suspension.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Here's a picture of the left front tire:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3192/bobbyscar016sn0.jpg [Broken]

Here's a picture of the top of the front right control arm from the front:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9016/bobbyscar018pb5.jpg [Broken]

Here's a picture of the bottom of the front right control arm from the front:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/6753/scar021fb8.jpg [Broken]

Here's a picture of the top of the left front control arm from the front:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4969/bobbyscar007du5.jpg [Broken]

A little closer look:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/889/bobbyscar008fd8.jpg [Broken]

Here's a picture of the bottom of the left front control arm from the front:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/24/bobbyscar010zj4.jpg [Broken]

Did you notice how the tire is so new you can still see the chalk marks in the tread? The rim's new, as well. During the snow storm we had last weekend, my son slid into a median so hard he destroyed the tire and dented the rim.

He mentioned the tire looked crooked after he replaced the tires (part of the problem was that all four tires were pretty worn down), but we never both had time available to take a closer look until today. I'm surprised the tire dealer didn't notice. Discount Tires has good prices, but the trade off is that the workers only know how to change the tires.

When are we going to have the contest for photos of jacked up auto parts? :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did something similar once doing a U-turn on a slick road. Coming out of the turn, the front lost traction and the car slide into the gutter, with the front wheel still slightly turned. The A-frame got bent. That event cost me about $250 just for the A-frame, and with other parts and labor, it was about $700-800, and that was about 30 years ago.

Something is certainly wrong... you have damaged your suspension.

You damaged something. I wouldn't drive it. That's for sure.

To put it technically, that's buggered!

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually like my insurance company. Prior to this year, the last time I filed a claim on my own insurance company, I was still on my dad's insurance and never dealt with them. After twenty some years paying insurance companies with no return, I've had three claims in the last year (one each for three kids).

The last claim, the one for the bent control arm and frame, has been kind of confusing, since I hadn't planned on filing a claim for something that I thought would fall far short of the $500 deductible. We replaced the rim and all four tires, then replaced the control arm. That still didn't quite bring the tire back into alignment. I don't know if you can tell in the picture, but while the frame is folded and the left side (front of car) of the bracket is bent, the back of the bracket has to be barely out of alignment. If the car were rear wheel drive and had a camber adjustment, an alignment would probably have fixed the problem. (Having that bent bracket made installing the control arm a real pain, though. We had to call in a third person - one of us could push in on the tension strut, one could push downward on the control arm, but then neither one of us could reach the bolt to slide it in.)

As it was, the only way to align that tire was to replace the sub-frame, which pushed us over the deductible. The insurance adjusters have been extra careful to make sure they're covering enough of the cost. I pointed out to them that they probably shouldn't use the overall receipts for the claim, since we bought other stuff unrelated to the accident - like they probably shouldn't pay for all four tires. They looked closer and realized I was right, but then went the extra step to make sure I wasn't getting screwed out of the sales tax and other miscellaneous fees. Not much monetarily, but I thought it showed a good attitude.

Of course, I haven't seen what filing three claims in one year will do to my insurance rates, but hopefully it will just increase the amount my kids have to give me rather than the insurance I have to pay for my own cars.

1. What types of issues could be considered "wrong" with something?

"Wrong" can refer to a variety of issues, such as defects, malfunctions, errors, or deviations from expected standards.

2. How can I determine if something is truly wrong?

To determine if something is wrong, you can conduct experiments, collect data, and analyze results to compare with expected outcomes or established norms.

3. Can something be wrong without any noticeable signs or symptoms?

Yes, some issues, such as hidden defects or underlying systemic errors, may not be immediately apparent or visible, but can still have significant impacts.

4. Is it always necessary to fix something that is wrong?

No, not all issues need to be fixed. Some may not pose any significant problems or may not be worth the time and resources to address.

5. How can I prevent something from going wrong in the first place?

To prevent issues from arising, you can implement quality control measures, establish proper protocols and procedures, and regularly monitor and maintain systems and processes.