Is this a good book to learn quantum physics?

In summary, The book "Quantum Mechanics of Particles and Wave Fields" by Arthur March was originally written in 1951 and covers various topics in quantum mechanics. It does not include newer topics such as angular momentum and field theory, but it still provides a comprehensive understanding of QM. It may be a good resource for learning QM, but it may not cover all the topics taught in modern physics graduate programs. Other textbooks, such as Shankar or Sakurai, may be easier to read.
Vectronix
Quantum Mechanics of Particles and Wave Fields by Arthur March... Does anyone know of the author? I think I found an error in this book. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a copy of March, Quantum Mechanics of Particle and Waves, Dover Ed. I must have been impressed by the topics it or I would not have bought it. First off, I notice that the Dover reprint was of a book that was written in 1951. This is not necessarily bad. If you complete the text you will know QM, but you will not cover any topics in QM that came up during the last 60 years. Nevertheless, the old masters, really new their QM.

It looks like the addition of angular momentum (e.g Clebsch Gordon Coefficients) is not addressed. This is usually in the curriculum for first year physics grad students.

On the other hand, later section in March addressing nuclear physics and field theory are more than what first year physics grads generally take.

Summary, whether March is good depends on your goals. You can certainly learn QM from March, and if you go through it, you may learn a lot that is not covered in physics graduate school programs these days. This may be worth pursuing. If your goal is to what the grad students cover these days and prepare you for recent applications, this is not your book.

March is certainly terse, and I think most common first year textbooks like Shankar, or Sakurai, are an easier read.

1. What makes a book a good resource for learning quantum physics?

A good book for learning quantum physics should cover the fundamental concepts and theories in an organized and comprehensive manner. It should also include clear explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems to aid in understanding.

2. How can I determine if a book is suitable for my level of understanding?

You can determine the suitability of a book by checking the intended audience and level of difficulty stated by the author. You can also browse through the table of contents and read reviews from other readers to get a better idea.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge in physics before learning quantum physics?

Having a basic understanding of classical physics can be beneficial, but it is not necessary to have prior knowledge in order to learn quantum physics. A good book should provide enough background information to help readers grasp the concepts.

4. Are there any recommended books for beginners in learning quantum physics?

Yes, there are several highly recommended books for beginners in learning quantum physics, such as "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

5. Can I solely rely on a book to learn quantum physics?

While a good book is a valuable resource, it is recommended to supplement your learning with other resources such as lectures, online courses, and practice problems. This will help solidify your understanding and provide different perspectives on the subject.