1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a trick question? Standard form

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7440/unledtev.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

There are like 2 other problems in my book similar to this one.

I thought problems posed in this manner are already in standard form. They say

"max [obj f]

s.t.

constraints, for variables positive "

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope your book does not say that variables are positive, for often they are not: they can be ZERO as well, and often are in an optimal solution. So, you should say non-negative, not positive. Problems with positive variables may not have any optimal solutions; the simplest example of this is min x, subject to x > 0.

Does the problem above satisfy ALL the requirements of a "standard" problem?

RGV

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3
    Oh I have change [tex]3x_1 +3x_2 + x_3 \geq 2[/tex] to [tex]-3x_1 - 3x_2 - x_3 \leq -2[/tex]

And for [tex]x_1 + 2x_3 = -4[/tex], I have to change it to [tex]-x_1 - 2x_3 \leq 4[/tex] because x_1 and x_3 are nonnegative ?

Also what does u.r.s. mean...? Because I just assumed it meant it can be positive..

EDIT:

[tex]x_1 + 2x_3 = -4[/tex]

Could also say

[tex]x_1 + 2x_3 \geq -4[/tex] and [tex]x_1 + 2x_3 \leq -4[/tex]

Then

[tex]-x_1 -2x_3 \leq 4[/tex] and [tex]x_1 + 2x_3 \leq -4[/tex] would make the requirements for constraints in standard form.

5. Sep 19, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Different authors have different definitions of "standard form". For example, the standard form in https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/angelia/www/ge330fall09_stform4.pdf [Broken] is max or min cx, st AX = b, x >= 0 (obtained by using slack or surplus variables if necessary). In others sources the standard is a minimization, in some others a maximization, in some others the constraints must all be <=, etc. Myself, I prefer the form max cx st Ax=b, x >= 0 form, because that is the form you need to get started on the simplex method. However, *ALL sources agree that 'x >= 0' is part of the standard*.

In your problem, x_3 urs means, I think, that x_3 is unrestricted in sign; that is, x_3 can be < 0 or >= 0. That makes your problem non-standard, and you are asked to do something to it to put it into standard form. More than that I cannot say without solving your problem for you.

RGV

6. Sep 19, 2011 #5
    It does say (max) in parenthesis, let's go with mine!

Oh that's easy, I can just make it into positive as I have and erase my new inequality!

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook